Droid phone reception

JLB09

Reaction score
We've always had poor reception in our house with our various Verizon phones. As my sons have upgraded to the Tour it got better for them. But still having two hold outs to the old flip phones a Verizon rep just recently suggested buying a Network Extender for our home. It ties into our DSL Router. They are not cheap, a one time cost of $250. but it beats standing outside in the winter on the phone.

BWJunior

Reaction score
I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 for work and the Droid as my personal phone and to get any reception on the HTC at my house I have to go outside and cross my fingers. With the Droid I can talk anywhere in the house without a problem.

MarkB

Reaction score
We got 2 new Verizon phones, the Droid and a Motorola Rapture (my mom needs a simple phone, similar to her old Razr on AT&T). Reception hasn't been stunning on either, we were better off around here with AT&T and still considering just canceling on Verizon.

Here's where it gets interesting. Side by side at home or out and about, her Rapture gets MUCH better reception than my Droid. She can make or receive calls where my Droid has no connection at all, right in the same spot. I got one of the network extenders for home because I really want to be able to use the Droid. And guess what? Both phones indicate that they are connected through the extender, and the Droid STILL has awful service. So I'm exchanging the Droid for another one in case it's a hardware issue. If that fixes it, fine. If not, it's all going back and we'll stick with AT&T until I see evidence that the issue has been resolved.

SofaKing

Reaction score
I've read on another forum that some people are saying the Droid does not work well with the Network Extender. I have used the BB Curve, Storm, Env, ENv2, and two other phones with the Network Extender with great success and was getting ready to pick up a Droid but this would be a deal killer for me.

JLB09

Reaction score
I've read on another forum that some people are saying the Droid does not work well with the Network Extender. I have used the BB Curve, Storm, Env, ENv2, and two other phones with the Network Extender with great success and was getting ready to pick up a Droid but this would be a deal killer for me.

well I have had my Droid for almost a week and have not had any problems. the network extender is in my office and that is where I spend a lot of my time with my droid. I did not exactly get the extender for myself but for my two other family members that have very old flip phones. Seems to be working for everyone so far.

SofaKing

Reaction score
That's great to hear. Maybe the person that posted has a config issue. For now I'll assume its a non-issue.

shane1v

Reaction score
I have had my Droid about a week and I love it except for one thing - I get terrible phone reception in my house. My wife and daugher both have Verizon phones as well and they get great reception here in the house. Neither of their phones are smart phones. I had he exact same problem with the Samsung I760 I replaced with the Droid. Does the phone portion of all smart phones typically not work as well as regular phones? I know I can get a signal booster/repeater that would probably fix my problem but I would rather not have to spend the $$$. This situation is really a PIA. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

I have had the exact same issue buddy. In the house I have a lot of trouble hearing people and vice versa on calls- no trouble with my previous LG non-smartphone. Very disappointing. I will try the *228 or whatever to fix this.

denlem

Reaction score
I'm always afraid of *228 as I updated with a phone one time and my signal got worse! Luckily it was an LG and was able to put an older PRL onto it and bring things back to normal.

As far as signal goes, i'm on the other side of a hill and reception here is at a bare minimum, sometimes non-existent. I have always found that Motorola has made the best phones for receiving a signal. I've had Samsung and LG phones that are always terrible. All the Motos (StarTac, Timeport, 710, E815, MaxxVe) have been the best. My Sisters LG upstairs can't hold a signal long enuff to send a text. I have no problem.

MarkB

Reaction score
I think mine has a flaky radio issue and the problems aren't related to my network extender. The droid does indicate that it's using the extender (the two tones when making a call), but the phone in general can't seem to maintain a steady signal anywhere. So I'll see what happens with my replacement droid which should arrive today.

Big D

Reaction score
I've alway had "on the fence" reception in my house. My Voyager was pretty good but dropped once in a while.

The droid hasn't dropped anything. I don't have full bars or anything but I haven't had any reception issues at all.

Sounds like a hardware isse. I'm interested is hearing the outcome of this one.

MarkB

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know if this is normal behavior for the droid or not, but I can just put it down and watch it and it'll go from full bars to zero and back to full, like 10 times in 2 minutes. That's at home with or without the network extender or anywhere else in the area. So I figured it's worth trying another one in case it's a hardware issue.

beachdroid

Reaction score
I got my Droid last Sunday and the reception is fine if I am no where near my neighborhood or house. Too frustrating at home, I am going to take it back.

subguy812

Reaction score
I have had my Droid about a week and I love it except for one thing - I get terrible phone reception in my house. My wife and daugher both have Verizon phones as well and they get great reception here in the house. Neither of their phones are smart phones. I had he exact same problem with the Samsung I760 I replaced with the Droid. Does the phone portion of all smart phones typically not work as well as regular phones? I know I can get a signal booster/repeater that would probably fix my problem but I would rather not have to spend the $$$. This situation is really a PIA. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott
Believe it or not I was not very happy with the call quality I was hearing in the earpiece. I pulled the battery for about 15 seconds and then put it in and called *228 , selected option 2 and now I couldn't be happier.