Droid Gripes?

stdesign

Reaction score
"The charger cord is too short!"

I agree, but I think a longer one should be found somewhere? I'll post again if I find one.

"SD card in a better location"

Absolutely, but it's a hardware issue, so waiting for the Droid2 is the only solution :p .

"Ridiculously poor implementation of copy / paste"

Yes, and there is no copy & paste allowed from the phone log either. I installed a call blocker, but I have to go to the log, start to make a new contact of the unwanted phone #, copy the number, and cancel the new contact... THEN paste the number into call blocker :-( .

"Calendar some times displays event with just a block and no text"

Yep, very annoying. A software/firmware update could fix this though.

The plus side? Gorgeous screen! It feels so good when selecting and swiping to scroll, page, etc... My wife has a LG Dare, and her touch screen is twitchy and inconsistent at best. Nice, solid construction on the Droid (to be so thin); and I haven't had any unintended kybd sliding, or battery door opening either, but the inconsistency for the same model of phone is troubling. I've been using the virtual kybd 95% of the time; my fingers aren't that big, but I still get lots of errors using the slide out kybd. Undecided whether to get a screen protection film or not. At $15USD, it seems very pricey, and I haven't had any problems with marks or scratches... But I don't want to have to regret not getting some extra protection.

Last edited:

jsquared

Reaction score
autocorrect when typing AND to ANDROID...i thought wtf...
-cant figure out how to turn off vibrate when unlocking and dialing numbers...
-email apps/including k-9 still need MAJOR improvement
-music player (fukin kidding me?)
-gallery (fukin kidding me?)
-camera...i can wait a bit for a "OTA update"
-battery life, i use my phone mainly to browse and listen to music 50% gone by noon and i leave the house at 10AM
-any problems, have to do a battery pull (this is my 2nd droid this week)
-no one knows if your suppose to take off the plastic cover behind the keyboard
-GPS still very spotty (mine usually says, accurate to 800m...so basically i'm suppose to wander a 1/4 mile in each direction?)
-call quality very intermittent

mitchb2

Reaction score
I just went to use my Droid and it was completely dead (even though it's fully charged). No response. I had to pull the battery and replace it, then the Droid started. Not cool.

griz8791

Reaction score
I've had mine since Tuesday. Overall I like it a lot. In some areas it feels like it was rushed to market. Things that could have been done better or that need improvement:

1. As big as the screen is, I actually wish it was a lot bigger. It's ok in the long dimension but I wish it was a half to 3/4 inch wider. I'd still have bought it and might even have paid more for it.

2. Physical keyboard needs a physical break between the keys. I certainly don't see myself doing full QWERTY typing on either the physical or the virtual keyboards, so it's going to be thumb typing for me and it was a lot easier on my Q, my Q9c, and the various crackberries I have seen with physical keyboards. The keys can actually be smaller as long as they are raised from the background and physically separated from each other.

3. Have to be able to voice dial over bluetooth headsets.

4. Need to be able to filter e-mail by sender, read or unread status, sender, etc.

5. Music player seems to do the few things it does well but it needs to do more, such as (a) display genre in library and playback screens and filter by genre in the library view; and (b) display star ratings in library and playback screens, filter by genre in library view, and assign/edit ratings in playback screen while playback is underway.

m3scott

Reaction score
GMail app needs work!
I have several Gmail accounts, and when I get a notification I have to go to Settings -> Accounts to see which account got the email. I'd rather see all Gmail emails in one list, with tabs across the top to sort by account. And no, I will not forward them into one account.

GTalk is limited.
I used my personal Gmail account to sign up, but do not use GTalk on that account. I use it on one of my business accounts all the time, but it will not let me log into a different account. I have not had luck getting Meebo to log into my Google App accounts either.

The Google integration is great, but it also needs some more work. Otherwise, I love this phone!

cgarnes

Reaction score
Such an expensive piece of equipment shouldn't require having to bend a door cover... that's just not cool.

griz8791

Reaction score
It goes into "silent mode" if you hold down the "down" part of the external volume rocker. I wonder if this explains reports of it mysteriously going into silent mode.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
key board is crap but the droid destroys the G1 on speed, web browser
no ability to send mp3 sounds in text.
all in all the droid is a beast. oh yeah a lil laggy in the movement of home screens and noti bar.
but i promse yall this it will grow into what u want very quick or the will be an app for that.
the G1 was updated like every 2 months 1 yr later i loved android and dont want another phone that doesnt have it.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Such an expensive piece of equipment shouldn't require having to bend a door cover... that's just not cool.

In all seriousness, what r u talking about? What issue is this?

Whoops, sorry, I must have replied to the wrong open tab. My mistake. I was making a comment about the complaints that I have read posted on here where some people who have the Droid have said that the back comes off of their phone.

Fixes offered up were: place a business card under the door, atop the battery, or to bend the back of the door a little bit.

I do not have this issue, and I am surprised that others have. I just think that it is a shame for such an expensive piece of equipment to have these issues.

I mean, really, the back of the phone is falling off? That has never happened on any phone that I have ever had.

NVash

Reaction score
Hey NVASH, I can solve 2 of yer gripes...

You can assign individual rings per contact...Go to the contact, then hit the options key (4lines on the bottom of the phone) then you can set an individual ring tone.

You can do a signature after each text, though I don't know why you would... if you use a app called handcent sms. Which is really cool. Super customizable, can make it look like iPhone bubbles or like droid default, can speak to text... etc.
Handcent is awesome! Now if only I can find out how to stop getting the same txt twice.

cgarnes

Reaction score
I had that same problem, getting the same message twice, and what you do is go into Notifications and you deselect... let me find the link for you, that will be easier.

Here you go. Direct from the Handcent developer's website (choose "d"): FAQ

Hope this helps! Now, for me... I have to somehow get "my dedicated camera button" back to activating the camera. Somehow, when I installed the Handcent apps, one of them took possession of that button, and now, when I click it, Handcent wants to create a new message.

Oh, the fun never ends!

(Seconds later: I found it! All I had to do to re-assign dedicated camera button to actually taking photos was disable "Quick Compose"! I love this Handcent application!)

Last edited: