Droid exchange

thehotcops

Reaction score
If you exchange your Droid, do all your applications transfer over? What about your application settings?

04rob

Reaction score
I'm curious about what does and does not transfer as well, since I'm thinking of exchanging my droid that has dust/dead pixel issues.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I had to exchange my first unit due to GPS failure. I was impressed to see that all your stuff either transfers over, or is recovered from the Google system. The only thing that doesn't transfer is your home screen arrangement, apps, and widgets. You will have to rebuild your Home pages. But, all the apps and stuff will be in there.

Erich_F

Reaction score
YES, one way or another, your Apps will be in the new unit after you activate it. You just have to rebuild your Home Screen. As far as the App settings, I do not think so.

OP
thehotcops

thehotcops

Reaction score
Okay, thanks!

Does anyone happen to know if Verizon gives you a brand new unit or a refurbished one?

04rob

Reaction score
So did they do some kind of magic transfer in the store, or did it all come back once you logged into your google account? I ask because I may have to exchange via wirefly, not at a Verizon store.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Well, that part I don't know. They do a contacts transfer, but frankly I don't think it's necessary since all that is backed up on the Google Server. Your Apps, from what I have been told here, do not physically transfer, but the information about which Apps are installed is backed up on Google. So, when the new phone is activated, this info is downloaded, and your unit then downloads the specific Apps and re-installs them.

I exchanged in my Local VZW store, so they had no choice but to give me a New unit. Actually, I would bet that there are no refurbs out available yet.

Erich