Droid Email Problem

mpax9

Reaction score
OK, so I just set up my new work E-mail on my Droid (not Exchange or anything). I set it up as an IMAP under the assumption that this was the best way to go if I wanted to keep my email organized between my phone and my desktop email client (Thunderbird).

The problem however, is that new email is not pushing to my phone and alerting me. It seems that my desktop client is receiving all new email (even when I'm not at my desk) and I can only see new email on my phone when I refresh it manually.

Does anyone have a solution?

Kedash00

Reaction score
1. do you have your email server settings correct?
2. is there anything in between the email server and the phone getting your email? like outlook, if so you need to "leave a copy on the mail server" which you can google for your particular version of outlook and it will walk you through it.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
You need to leave a copy of it on the server or turn ur computer off (or email client) when your not at your computer whats probally happening is that your pc is grabbing the email before the phone gets it. if your computer is set to check as items arrive but ur phone is checked to every 15minutes then it won't get anything.

Either set to leave messages on server (which might fill up ur box fast depending on how much email you get)
Or Turn off PC Client and only use when your in office

OP
M

mpax9

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the entire idea of IMAP was to keep messages on the server. The desktop client I'm using is Thunderbird - and there isn't an option to leave messages on the server when using IMAP.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Yea it is but somewhere your telling it to delete them or something. I personally have my laptop set as pop3 and it grabs the emails off. and my phone set to imap so when im out of the office I'll respond to work emails that come in. As much email as I get it would use too much space to bring everything.

dktrue

Reaction score
re: leaving messages on server

I have had my Droid2 about a week, and am loving it. I noticed the same problem suddenly started (mail gone from server when I deleted from handset) and realized that it had begun when I 'checkmarked' the Data Push option.

If you do not use the Data push, it leaves the mail on the server. Mine is Yahoo/Att.
I tested it when I took off the Data Push, and it did leave the mail, even after I deleted from the phone.

Hope this helps-thank you for ths Forum--I am learning a lot!

dktrue

Reaction score
Well, disregard the above message--I was wrong! it is still deleting messages when I delete them from my Droid; even with Data push off and "only sync when logged on to wifi". If anyone DOES figure this problem out-I'd love to know what it is!