Droid, Droid 2 or wait

tsmith7461

Reaction score
Wondering if I can get some info here. My contracts up and been up for some time.. I looking at getting a phone without contract presently, hate to sign up for two years right now with the way work is. Anyway, I'm looking at a OG droid or droid 2. Is the droid 2 as change (modify, hack or whatever you wish to call it) as the OG droid? I can get the droid for less money. Or would I be better served and spend a little more and get the droid2?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Droid 1 is definitely the more mod-friendly device. The 2 of course is faster stock, but i'm not sure how mod-friendly it is compared to the droid 1. Droid 1 has arguably the strongest developer support for modding, but I'm pretty sure they've figured out a couple good ROMs to flash on the 2 by now.

There's alot of people that know about this more than me, hopefully they'll chime in to help as well.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The D2 can be rooted, has ROMs available, and themes. The only thing that's really missing are custom kernels because its locked down. Stock vs stock, the D2 will win every time though. Modding the D1 is DEF easier and with more options available!
Edit: Jrummy somehow figured out how to overclock the D2 and DX...without a kernel! There's probably only about a handful of members here that know how he did it and I can confirm that it works because my gf has it on her D2! Way over my head though! :)
DroidForums junkie!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is one of the few times I will suggest someone to wait. The next generation of phones will be announced early next month and they will likely blow us away. However if waiting isn't your thing, and you're interested in modding, you can definately do more with a d1 than a d2 like previously stated but there are still some great options for the d2.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the dual-core LTE phones in action!!!! :dancedroid:

This is one of the few times I will suggest someone to wait. The next generation of phones will be announced early next month and they will likely blow us away. However if waiting isn't your thing, and you're interested in modding, you can definately do more with a d1 than a d2 like previously stated but there are still some great options for the d2.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!