"Droid Does?" Having Problems

Garett24

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my Motorola Droid for 3 months and am somewhat disappointed by it's os and hardware. I did not write this thread to complain, I simply would like to know if anyone else realizes these problems. There is a great deal of competition in the phone market, but every time I compare the droid to an Iphone or other smartphone, it falls short in almost every aspect, for example:

I really have to download vibrate mode by force to quickly switch to vibrate? Where is the simplicity?

New os, 2.1, has significantly slowed my phone, as it has been proven to slow the fps on the screen.

Apps are designed terribly, the Facebook app, is flawed, reffering me to the mobile site to slowly load pictures? "Droid Does.", what? This is merely one example. Compare an android app and an apple or blackberry app, they are just made so bad.

I will admit the camera is nice, and the shutter speed has been greatly improved.

Battery life: average to bad, I have tried everything to improve it.

Why would you give live wallpapers in the update if the phone lags? I need a flush and smooth os, this is why I got the droid, simply click menu button to see the lag while using the phone on live wallpapers.

Music player is god awful, there is no denying that, even with the update.

While on vibrate I have to go to settings then media volume if i dont want a game blasting through the speakers in a quiet environment. I would figure if the phone is on vibrate, the designers would assume they wanted quiet games and apps for users.

Widgets are useless. A youtube widget? What is the point of that? It doesn't do anything. Facebook? Just as useless, the only useful widget I have found is Weatherbug

Make a mistake while texting? You really expect me to scrunch my fingers together to pinpoint exactly where i made a mistake? Do the designers assume we text without flaws? Apple designers realized this obviously.

Top game; Robo Defense. Sure it's kind of phone but really? Is this the best you have android? I expected the games to be a weak point in the Droid due to the marketplace but I am sad that the phones keyboard hasn't been utilized for gaming.

The auto-dimmer is waaaaaaay to sensitive, this contributes to the already bad battery life. It changes super bright when I dont need it to.

All in all, I am just sad of the potential the phone had and it just seems many apps as well as the os are very sloppy and not simple.

Here is an example: To make a call to Bob on a droid:
1. Unlock screen
2. If needed, scroll to main home screen, since the phone app is not always on botoom like iPhone
3.Click phone
4.Go to favorites
5. Allow minor lag of new profile pics in contacts
6. Click tiny green call button

Iphone:
1. Double click home button
2. Click bob on large display of contact

chops

Reaction score
Here is an example: To make a call to Bob on a droid:
1. Unlock screen: Answer Download Helix and put the phone as one of your constant apps. DROID DOES... WITH THE HELP OF ITS USERS UNLIKE ICRAP
2. If needed, scroll to main home screen, since the phone app is not always on botoom like iPhone
3.Click phone
4.Go to favorites
5. Allow minor lag of new profile pics in contacts
6. Click tiny green call button

Iphone:
1. Double click home button
2. Click bob on large display of contact

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I see this is your first post, have you done any reading to see if there are solutions/explanations for any of your issues?

I'm not going to go through your list, suffice to say you probably need to learn your phone a bit better.:)

No flaming guys. Lets not even get started.

chops

Reaction score
Please do research before u post something stupid

OP
G

Garett24

Reaction score
Yea it's my first post, yes I have looked for problems sorry if it upsets anyone I just thought I was the only one who noticed this group of quirks. I tried Helix..but it force closed alot, I shouldn't have to use different homes to get a function standard on most phones.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea it's my first post, yes I have looked for problems sorry if it upsets anyone I just thought I was the only one who noticed this group of quirks. I tried Helix..but it force closed alot, I shouldn't have to use different homes to get a function standard on most phones.

Droid isn't your standard phone. First, you're comparing it to iPhone. iPhone doesn't have an open platform like Droid does. There is so much more you could do with Droid if you chose to, such as rooting the phone and overclocking. iPhone can't touch 800mhz. Some overclock to 1 Ghz.

Now it is true that this last update did slow Droid down, but to me it's not even noticeable and the reason they did that was to increase battery life.

I'd like for you to take a look at some other "smart phoones" like the Blackberry Storm or for that matter any Blackberry. None of them can lick Droids boots.

When I make a call, I push the power button, then search, microphone and say call home. And that's exactly what it does. I don't even look at my contact list.

Droid is capable of doing anything better then iPhone. Well, maybe the camera I'm not sure about that. It all depends upon how far you want to take it. Not happy with it running 2.1? Then you can go back to 2.0.1 and root your phone. There are absolutely wonderful ROMS out there.

Droid does, if you know how to do it.;)

junpar

Reaction score
if it force closes a lot then something is wrong.. because helixlauncher 1 RARELY force closes. It is very stable.

OP
G

Garett24

Reaction score
Well it just seems that no matter what rom you have, nothing can be as solid as the first home os it was built with (however, some can disagree and I understand), Helix is the best alternative home in my opinion, due to its simplicity and speed, (unlike GDE, for me which causes lag) any replacement home will have to go through the home then throughout the secondary home to carry out actions.

I do understand Droid is a much different breed of phone offering many ways to alter the way it runs, and I respect that greatly, I just think some things need to be thought out better and the designers of the phone lean more on fixing and improving their own software rather than lean on the open ability for users to change the way the system works.

As for frame rate, I never thought of it as improving battery which is a good idea, although it is contradictory to turn that direction when live wallpapers (which you have to admit do not run smoothly on a STOCK phone) take a different direction in draining the battery. This sends me a mixed signal and utmost lack in planning within the devolving process of the os.

Cornholieo

Reaction score
android is well thought

Hi Garett24,

It sounds like you did not do enough research before commiting to purchase your phone. I myself converted from an iPhone and got my Droid on release day. It is true that most of the apps are not as polished as the iPhone, but they are getting better. Though if you want a really good graphics game purchase ExZeus on the market. This is what your Droid does that all other phones don't.

1.) Google. Voice - Free visual voicemail (which is sometimes readable:p), free texting with latest release.
2.) Free GPS
3.) If its not on the app store... no worries download it else where.
4.) Tethering (even without a rooted phone)
5.) I don't have to worry about Google bricking my phone because it is rooted (UD 9.8 running at 1.1 Ghz.) Infact you can download all the rooting tools from the market.
6.) Better gmail intigration.
7.) Easier sharing of photos with email, twitter, facebook, picasa, etc...
8.) Create custom ring tones on you phone for free
Honestly... I can keep going.

If you want to know who to blame for the sucky facebook app... its facebook (though they did give us contact sync before the iPhone got it.

Now honestly you need to stop complaining and figure how to make your Droid work for you. I love my Droid and feel no envy for iPhone 4.0. I recommend you root you phone... there are instructions that my 8 year old could understand and follow in the forums.

tstrom107

Reaction score
I see Hookbill said no flaming then proceeds to flame like some elitist iphoner. Does everyone come to this plate with the same level of expertise? Looking down on others is sad.
I too have had numerous issues with my Droid like very slow maps,loss of maps, loss of email connectivety, especially with yahoo, low to no browsing, difficulty in reading the white on black screen in bright daylight, etc...

Cornholieo

Reaction score
Most are curious about why?

I only saw one definite flame. Hook was no where near flaming... but what I think you see overall is a curiosity about why Garrett chose to purchase a Droid? It seems like is totally unhappy with his choice and has a major case of buyer's remorse and the Droid was an impluse buy.

It would be nice to know what bugs you are claiming exist. I have not found any when using the standard OS. There were some things I had to get use too, but no bugs. As far as the Yahoo email, I figured that it was a no go at purchase.

Moral of the story... I you want a phone that "just works" get a Pre or iPhone (my wife's phone). If you want a phone that goes beyond then get a Droid (just be prepared to think).

OP
G

Garett24

Reaction score
"just works"="Droid Does"? My purchase of my Motorola droid was not an impulse buy, I did my fair amount of research but was mislead by claims and how they held up. For example, 5 megapixel camera, I thought to myself ,cool! When I got it it could barely focus and crashed alot. Then, I read that I could upload pics and use Facebook only to find out that I cant even send pictures I TOOK VERTICALLY OVER MMS because they would be sent horizontal..wtf? My old razor could do that. Maps is nice but I would like to drop a pin on a location, I mean I use mms much more than maps. The browser is just so laggy, I shouldnt have to overclock my phone to use simple internet, but the browser lags when loading and flush when done. If you cant notice this then maybe you aren't too observant, as two of my friends have this phone and both agree, along with a general concensus along the internet...any other browser will become flush during loadup,(iPhone,Pre,etc.)aspects such as these take away from my droid experience. Relying on third party apps is not an option for me, exploring 3rd party apps but clocking my phone because it lags, getting a new browser because its laggy should not be a necessity.

Im new to this forum thing but that doesn't mean I havent reasearched or dislike my Phone, it just falls so short. It has fast internet, its just not fun to use, it has a nice camera its just terribly unstable, it has a keyboard, but has no travel. It has an auto dimmer but changes too much. I can text but I have to look hard and tap just the right spot to fix my errors, I am not suppporting the iPhone, I am just sad things dont work together easily and steadily within the phone.

cricketnest

Reaction score
I am not the most computer or phone literate person either. I didint have a problem with lag until the 2.1 update. now it lags some, More noticable than prior. I love the live wallpapers.

I really dont have a problem with the browser. But then I have never used a phone to access the internet prior to getting the droid. Hell I rarely even text.

I downloaded the Helix launcher just last night (ok so I am a bit behind) I would love to try and root my droid but am terrified if I mess it up. But I love the fact that with the helix certain things stay constant on each screen.

I havent had a problem with the camera as of yet and I have used it a few times. But then I stick to my real camera unless the cell is all i have on me

I love most of the apps, I use the Weather channel app and widget, I downloaded a calender app because I live by my schedule and the widget sits on my home screen and tells me the next 3 upcoming things on my calender. Are all the apps great no, but I sample one if I dont like it I uninstall it and there are new apps out all the time. I havent even bought an app as of yet I am using all the free stuff so far.

I would like an easier way to get to vibrate since I cant have my phone playing stand in the corner and scream with me at work. But hey I can deal with it. My biggests disappointment is that I would like the vibrate to be a little better, I can have the phone in my lab coat pocket and not feel it vibrate when I get an incoming call Then find out later I missed a call.

And I love the droid notification mostly because the boyfriend finds it annoying he keeps telling me that Im being droided.

I dont like the slide out keyboard, I think the keys could be rounded a little. so I mainly use the touchscreen keyboard, a simple arrow key to fix mistakes would be nice but I am sure someone will come up with that some time.

But the one thing I always remember when I bought this phone, the lady told me that I would be able to personalize it to my tastes. I think it just takes time to be able to sit and play with it to get it to where you want it. Could things be better, yep, but I think it is an awesome phone.

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
plain and simple the Droid does as much as your willing to make it. the point of its open source is so that you can choose between numerous third party apps. the customization is amazing on the Droid and while many standard apps on the Droid are not polished many in the app store surpass anything apple allows.