Droid and Microsoft Exchange

RocCats33

Reaction score
Hello All. I am new to this forum and looking for some answers. I have my Droid configured with a Microsoft Exchange account. All works well except for 2 issues:

1. Can not open .eml forwards

2. If I create a calendar item within Outlook, it doesn't show up on my Droid calendar. If I create it on my Droid, it DOES show up in Outlook

If anyone has any direction to point me in for either or both of these issues it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello All. I am new to this forum and looking for some answers. I have my Droid configured with a Microsoft Exchange account. All works well except for 2 issues:

1. Can not open .eml forwards

2. If I create a calendar item within Outlook, it doesn't show up on my Droid calendar. If I create it on my Droid, it DOES show up in Outlook

If anyone has any direction to point me in for either or both of these issues it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Would need more information about the nature of your forwarding problem.

As far as your calendar problem is concerned, however, it sounds like you need to set your google account to have 2 way synchronization, not one way. You can do this by changing an option on the calendar synchronization program you downloaded from google.

OP
R

RocCats33

Reaction score
The email forwarding details are as follows:

If emails are forwarded to me from Outlook, it comes to the Droid as an attachment labeled .eml. When you try to open it, the Droid is unable to fetch. If I forward an email from my Droid to another Droid configured for Exchange or to another recipient using Outlook, they can't see what was forwarded.

To reply to you solution about the syncing, I am not using my Google account, ONLY MS Exchange.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The email forwarding details are as follows:

If emails are forwarded to me from Outlook, it comes to the Droid as an attachment labeled .eml. When you try to open it, the Droid is unable to fetch. If I forward an email from my Droid to another Droid configured for Exchange or to another recipient using Outlook, they can't see what was forwarded.

To reply to you solution about the syncing, I am not using my Google account, ONLY MS Exchange.

OK. Let's start with your calendar. If information is showing up on your droid in the "calendar" app, you're using the calendar associated with your google account whether you know it or not.

Here's what I would suggest. Go to mail.google.com and log in to your google account. Click on the "calendar" selection and then go to "help" to set up "sync." This will allow you to download a small program from google to your pc (or Mac) to synchronize your google calendar (which shows up on your Droid) and your Outlook calendar. Choose "2 way" synchronization and you'll find that every event you put on your phone shows up in Outlook and every event you set up in Outlook will show up on your phone.

(Note: You may still find that some features of your Outlook calendar are not fully supported on your phone. Specifically, setting up a meeting and inviting attendees is problematic. The invitations to the meeting are not fully supported in the Google/Droid calendar.)

And that brings us to the overall email issue. I'd strongly recommend that you try downloading "Touchdown" from the Market. It will cost you $20, I believe, but if your time is worth more than $.50 an hour, it's probably worth it.

That's not to say that you can't get your Exchange email configured to work without Touchdown. For example, I have all my Exchange email forwarded to my gmail account and I use the K-9 email client to access it there. But I can do that because I have a cooperative IT department running my firm's Exchange server and I don't try to delete email that comes from the Exchange server on my Outlook client from my Droid.

All in all, since it sounds like you don't want to deal with gmail anymore than you have to, I'd strongly recommend Touchdown as the best alternative. But if you want to give it a try, you can try downloading K-9 (free) and pointing it at your exchange email address. You may find it does what you need it to do. (It's far better than the standard "email" app that comes on your phone.)

P.S. Not looking to complicate things for you even more, but I just noticed that your comment above indicates you're forwarding email from "Outlook." That might be just a convenient term or it might mean you don't understand the difference between your Exchange server and your Outlook client. If the latter is the case, I suggest you try to distinguish between the two. I don't want to drag you down into that black hole, but lots of confusion results from folks not understanding the difference.

Hope this helps and doesn't simply add to the confusion.

Droids

Reaction score
Exchange emails forwarded within Outlook to other folks should not be coming through as attachments on the phone, they should just look like any normal, forwarded email.

The calendar not syncing is also odd. Did you setup your exchange account on the Droid using the Email app or the Corporate Calendar app? You can do it either way but you need to do it via the Corp Calendar app to have full calendar support.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sounds like someone is forwarding as attachment instead of normal forward.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
The .eml forwarding issue is a known problem. I had the exact same thing when using the native email application with Exchange. I am now using Touchdown and do not have this problem. TD works great with contacts, calander, and tasks. They have a 30 day trial, I would check that out.