Droid and free visual voicemail?

panoptic

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a Droid with a plan by verizon, but, is there any way to circumvent the 3 buck charge for the visual voicemail? Maybe an app out there? If I have to do some, for lack of a better and more correct term, jailbreaking of the phone that's no problem, I just don't want to pay 3 bucks a month for visual voicemail, which in my opinion should be free with a phone like this.

Thanks!

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a Droid with a plan by verizon, but, is there any way to circumvent the 3 buck charge for the visual voicemail? Maybe an app out there? If I have to do some, for lack of a better and more correct term, jailbreaking of the phone that's no problem, I just don't want to pay 3 bucks a month for visual voicemail, which in my opinion should be free with a phone like this.

Thanks!
Google voice is free. You can wait for an invite, or download the app, and hope you can get it set up. It took me several tries, but I got my google voice without an invite.

jimmiem

Reaction score
+1 for Google Voice. Basically you set up your phone to forward unanswered calls to your GV#. Google VM takes over and even though it usually takes a minute or 2 for the GV app to notify you of a new message, you usually get an email instantly with a transcription of the message.

The best part is your outgoing message the caller hears does not have any further instructions added like "to leave a callback number press 5". They just hear your message and a beep, the way God intended.

pjo1966

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I love the default Smart Greeting. Also, the ditch feature has come in handy.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a Droid with a plan by verizon, but, is there any way to circumvent the 3 buck charge for the visual voicemail? Maybe an app out there?
You probably won't find an app (unless the app is in conjunction with a service). Voicemail isn't a phone feature.

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Google voice is free. You can wait for an invite, or download the app, and hope you can get it set up. It took me several tries, but I got my google voice without an invite.

I've tried several times to get setup but it can't confirm my number.

Also been tryign for an invite but so far - no good. Anyone got one?

KevinJ

Reaction score
I have just set up my Google Voice account, but from everything I've read using it still uses your Verizon minutes. Even the voicemail.