Droid 4 Flex Cable Replacement

cfy7

Reaction score
I have a Droid 4 that the touchscreen has begun to act up on. I've have in my hand a new flex cable for the phone, but upon taking the phone apart I've noticed 2 connections that have black tape around them. One is going to the front camera, and the other one goes to the screen. (at least I think it's for the screen)

How are these connections made? Are they soldered?

Is the flex cable even replaceable?

Thanks!

kmeleon

Reaction score
I have the same problem now: At first my touchscreen reacted only if the keyboard was retracted. After one more day it doesn't react at all anymore. I searched for a new flex ribbon cable, but wasn't sure, how the LCD is connected to this flex ribbon cable, so I didn't bought it yet. As I was determined to even kill the Droid 4 due to the malfunction, I disassembled it again, carefully pulled the black tape off and tried to analyse how the connection is established. As the flex ribbon cable seems to be broken in my Droid 4 I even pulled off the two cables from each other. It felt like some sort of adhesive tape, which is glued to another tape. 25 PCB tracks and contacts on 7mm were revealed. No soldering! If I try to put the two just separated cables together, they are not sticking together again. There is no adhesive between them. Due to the REALLY small contacts (approx. 4 contacts on 1mm) there is absoluelty NO way to connect both cables together again, unless you have very good tools (i.e. microscope etc.). So, the only solution is to buy a LCD incl. flex ribbon cable.

Does anyone know more about this connection? I'm really curious how this connection is made...

shanook

Reaction score
I have the same problem now: At first my touchscreen reacted only if the keyboard was retracted. After one more day it doesn't react at all anymore. I searched for a new flex ribbon cable, but wasn't sure, how the LCD is connected to this flex ribbon cable, so I didn't bought it yet. As I was determined to even kill the Droid 4 due to the malfunction, I disassembled it again, carefully pulled the black tape off and tried to analyse how the connection is established. As the flex ribbon cable seems to be broken in my Droid 4 I even pulled off the two cables from each other. It felt like some sort of adhesive tape, which is glued to another tape. 25 PCB tracks and contacts on 7mm were revealed. No soldering! If I try to put the two just separated cables together, they are not sticking together again. There is no adhesive between them. Due to the REALLY small contacts (approx. 4 contacts on 1mm) there is absoluelty NO way to connect both cables together again, unless you have very good tools (i.e. microscope etc.). So, the only solution is to buy a LCD incl. flex ribbon cable.

Does anyone know more about this connection? I'm really curious how this connection is made...

Motorola Droid 4, XT894 LCD Flex Cable Ribbon

reviving this thread. i think this is what we need. did anyone try this? i'm having this issue now also. i dont want to go in and try to replace it. i can't find any guides on what to do.

Droidastic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 4
Motorola Droid 4, XT894 LCD Flex Cable Ribbon

reviving this thread. i think this is what we need. did anyone try this? i'm having this issue now also. i dont want to go in and try to replace it. i can't find any guides on what to do.

Yes, this is the exact (Not the D3, which is quite different) D4 flex cable needed. There are no solders.

Pain, but you have to line up the cable as perfect as possible to get it ti work. The cable comes should come with sticky tap when ordered directly from Motorola - which they do sell.

There is a rather bad, but usable if you are already using the iFixIt video for initial teardown, Youtube vid of a guy sort of showing how it is "done".

The pic shown on Motorola Droid 4, XT894 LCD Flex Cable Ribbon - ETrade Supply is looking at it from under it's belly - this is the part that would be stuck to the board underneath it. Once attached you would be looking at the black side with printing.

BUT (Biiig BUT)

I was much better off spending 10 more dollars for this:

Verizon Droid 4 LCD Screen with Main Flex Cable, Front Camera, Light Sensor and Lower Navigation Keys Backlight OEM, Genuine Motorola Droid 4 XT894 Display Screen with Slide Flexible Ribbon Cable, Front Facing Camera Proximity Sensor and Keypad Ligh

Why? Because you get a new screen, camera (with most recent upgraded lens and chip!), sensor ---

--- and the flex cable is FACTORY ATTACHED PERFECTLY!

Hopefully, this problem solved for ya!

---

You will - I did - want also add to your cart the OEM install pre-cut sticky tape, this goes where the other tape was when you remove the old screen (not the tape under the flex cable, that is already factory installed).

Just a reminder, a refurb WHOLE D4 is $129.00 through Amazon.

Last edited: