Droid 3 OTA for 2.3.5?

jellydroid13

Reaction score
i saw the new 2.3.5 blur on the razr and it looks a lot quicker obviously some of that is due to the better specs but some is the new blur so will we be getting some of that?

leobg

Reaction score
RAZR has not only better CPU (4430 vs 4460) but also twice as much RAM which is mostly the reason interface moves smoother. Why MOTO dropped the ball with the RAM on D3 is beyond me.

Back on topic: it is quite possible we see 2.3.5 as the Chinese Milestone 3 runs 2.3.5, so it sounds they already moved the base. I say give us some Ice Cream Sandwich love instead :)

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Looks like the Razr is running the 4430 and not the 4460...according to Droid-life.com

: As of this morning, the processor has now been switched to the 4430 which is the same as the processor in the Bionic. We have reached out to Motorola for clarification and will report back.
Update 2: Motorola just got back to us and confirmed that it is the 4430.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
And RAM does not make an Android smoother unless you are running quite a few large apps.

leobg

Reaction score
And RAM does not make an Android smoother unless you are running quite a few large apps.

It doesn't. Until you put few memory hungry widgets on your home screen and try to use Navigation while listening to online radio. And when an email pops in from your Exchange Active Sync connection and you decide to check it out, yhings start getting quite lagy. Not if you have enough RAM at your disposal. Do you believe they furnish all new high end phones with a gig for no reason?
OG Droid had 256MB, Droid 2 and 3 are 512MB. Jump from 256 to 512 is really noticeable if you try to do more than one thing at a time. Jump from 512 to 1G might not be as noticeable, but certainly is. I have been comparing Atrix with the D3 - in many aspects Atrix feels faster especially when you get more than couple of app loaded.
Now with RAZR confirmed having the same CPU as D3, it will be very good side-to-side comparison between the two. I am sure RAZR will be smoking out D3, even without trying it, just because of the RAM.

TyrannoTaurus

Reaction score
It doesn't. Until you put few memory hungry widgets on your home screen and try to use Navigation while listening to online radio. And when an email pops in from your Exchange Active Sync connection and you decide to check it out, yhings start getting quite lagy. Not if you have enough RAM at your disposal. Do you believe they furnish all new high end phones with a gig for no reason?
OG Droid had 256MB, Droid 2 and 3 are 512MB. Jump from 256 to 512 is really noticeable if you try to do more than one thing at a time. Jump from 512 to 1G might not be as noticeable, but certainly is. I have been comparing Atrix with the D3 - in many aspects Atrix feels faster especially when you get more than couple of app loaded.
Now with RAZR confirmed having the same CPU as D3, it will be very good side-to-side comparison between the two. I am sure RAZR will be smoking out D3, even without trying it, just because of the RAM.

I believe that the extra RAM in both the Atrix and Bionic are used EXCLUSIVELY for webtop. Meaning any perceived difference that you see is most likely a placebo effect. So, no, they are not providing extra RAM for no reason, the reason is webtop.

leobg

Reaction score
I believe that the extra RAM in both the Atrix and Bionic are used EXCLUSIVELY for webtop. Meaning any perceived difference that you see is most likely a placebo effect. So, no, they are not providing extra RAM for no reason, the reason is webtop.

Nope. When you don't use the webtop, all RAM is at your disposal. Webtop requires extra RAM to run, this is why webtop is not compatible with D3 - due to lack of RAM - they haven't integrated this feature.

ndoren

Reaction score
I don't see any lag associated with the limited RAM. Instead, I see Android killing a lot of processes when I load a RAM hungry app. Perhaps the worst case is using the built-in camera app. Lots of things get killed that I do NOT want killed off, including my yahoo connection, skype connection, and imap push (k-9 mail). Surprising, given I'm rooted and reasonably debloated. My biggest complaint about this phone is it's serious lack of RAM. It's not like I'm running HD games and a lot of other stuff all together. Just pulling up the camera app for a quick photo overhwelms the RAM on this thing. Neall

spillner

Reaction score
ATRIX is terribly laggy. I compared my d3 to it at my Sis-in-laws att store and the D3 blew it away. GB is very good at managing RAM, I've never ran into a memory problem on the D3

ndoren

Reaction score
ATRIX is terribly laggy. I compared my d3 to it at my Sis-in-laws att store and the D3 blew it away. GB is very good at managing RAM, I've never ran into a memory problem on the D3

Agreed... but android manages RAM by killing off "weaker" processes (first the empties, then content providers,then hiddden, then secondary, visible and foreground). Android does what it has to do... no faults there. However, big memory hog apps (such as the camera app) force android to kill off stuff in the prescribed order. Unfortunately, I think there is a definite shortage of RAM in the D3, at least relative to the number of apps that typically run, and their associated RAM requirements. Thus, the instantiation of big apps cause the kill of other apps, which often restart, but many times my network attached background apps such as yahoo and skype get sacrificed. Run your D3 for a few days, then fire up yahoo or skype in the background, then fire up the camera app. Your yahoo and skype are terminated. A lack of RAM in the D3.

Reaction score
I doubt motorola would go through the trouble of giving us 2.3.5. Isn't the latest gingerbread 2.3.7 anyways?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

leobg

Reaction score
Agreed... but android manages RAM by killing off "weaker" processes (first the empties, then content providers,then hiddden, then secondary, visible and foreground). Android does what it has to do... no faults there. However, big memory hog apps (such as the camera app) force android to kill off stuff in the prescribed order. Unfortunately, I think there is a definite shortage of RAM in the D3, at least relative to the number of apps that typically run, and their associated RAM requirements. Thus, the instantiation of big apps cause the kill of other apps, which often restart, but many times my network attached background apps such as yahoo and skype get sacrificed. Run your D3 for a few days, then fire up yahoo or skype in the background, then fire up the camera app. Your yahoo and skype are terminated. A lack of RAM in the D3.

Excellent post ndoren!

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

ndoren

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store to check the download performance of the Bionic... we just got 4G in our city a few days ago. Very impressive. However, I also looked at the memory usage in the "running apps" setting and it was using almost exactly what my D3 typically does, around 280 Mb. At this point, my D3 is has about 88 Mb remaining (and the point where things start getting killed off), while the Bionic had nearly 450. Grrr... I really wish the D3 had more RAM. Rumors of the Bionic using the additional 512 Mb just for webtop are untrue. It has access to all the RAM under normal use. I really think the D3 would have been a better phone if they'd just given us that extra 1/2 Gig. neall

leobg

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store to check the download performance of the Bionic... we just got 4G in our city a few days ago. Very impressive. However, I also looked at the memory usage in the "running apps" setting and it was using almost exactly what my D3 typically does, around 280 Mb. At this point, my D3 is has about 88 Mb remaining (and the point where things start getting killed off), while the Bionic had nearly 450. Grrr... I really wish the D3 had more RAM. Rumors of the Bionic using the additional 512 Mb just for webtop are untrue. It has access to all the RAM under normal use. I really think the D3 would have been a better phone if they'd just given us that extra 1/2 Gig. neall

Amen!

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Fr33dom

Reaction score

I feel the discussion has really perverted my point beyond recognition. I wasn't saying that the Droid 3 has plenty of memory. Just that playing with a Bionic in the store and it seeming smoother isn't because of RAM. Case in point, I have much less than 88Mb free and there is still room for the OS to kill apps that I don't use, but are (perhaps stupidly) preloaded, like weather and IM for example. Most of what is eating my RAM is the things I loaded. Comparing it with some other bionic that doesn't have the same apps and isn't consistently used the same way is comparing apples and oranges. I detect no lack of smoothness in the D3. I've played with a friend's Bionic and feel it is on par with this phone, and not any smoother. But that isn't a good comparison.

I don't doubt if you're navigating, playing music, answering texts and talking on the phone that this phone will lag. While I would expect the Bionic would do better, I don't know it. I've never used one that way. That may make the bionic more capable than the d3, but it doesn't make it smoother, not at least until you use it the way you use your d3.

I didn't really want to belabor the point but I think its all being made too much of.