Droid 3, extremely obscure battery issue.

MasterChris

Reaction score
So basically, let's start off with the basics...
I've got a Droid 3(dur), Rubix ROM(note that this has a preinstalled battery mod*1% increments*), and I'm using a 3500mAh extended battery.
Before, when I was using the stock battery(right when I got the Rubix ROM) I noticed that the battery would go down to 1% a bit too soon.. it would die maybe 5 minutes while being on 1% and right when it reached 10% it would automatically drop down to 5% and then 4% immediately after.
So, I bought an extended battery, and the percentage drops down to 1% even quicker than my standard battery would.
I did a lot of googling and research, and I found out about battery calibration. Tried this several times and failed. But one time I improvised on a method I found. I had my battery charged to 40%(incorrect percentage my phone was showing), and I turned it off and plugged in the charger to boot into charge mode. It showed 40%. I took out the battery and my phone booted into CWM, I rebooted after clearing the battery stats. I rebooted my phone after doing that and it booted into charge mode with the "?". I put in the battery, and nothing happened, so I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in, and it booted into charge mode again and it showed 70%(the actual percentage of my battery)...
So everything is great, right? Wrong.. I use my phone for about 15 minutes and the charge drops to 69% (from 70) and next thing you know, the percentage drops to 49%... So back to how it was before with the incorrect percentages..
After that, clearing battery stats and the same/different method(s) have not worked..
I have also tried flashing the battery mod directly, that hasn't fixed anything either.
I am typing this up from school on my phone, and my phone has shown 1% battery for the past 2 hours.

Any comments, or help, would be extremely appreciated. :)
Thanks in advance,
Chris.

rvcjew

Reaction score
Who makes your battery? The quality matters some 3500's are worse than stock. I have the OEM (Motorola) extended one and I get about 13 hours heavy usage, with horrible signal around me. ALSO: what recovery do you have? that ROM seems to have some trouble flashing with safestrap.

Last edited:
OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
I don't know the brand it is from eBay..
But I don't think that matters, because the battery WILL NOT DIE. I swear I could turn on bluetooth, GPS, go on data, and torch my LED flash for all night straight(like 6-8 hours) and my phone will not die.. The quality is great, the battery works as it should, the ratio of time I get from this battery compared to my stock is the same as the ratio of mAh of mine to the stock.
I am using CWM Recovery 5.2.0.6(if I'm not mistaken).. I am NOT using Safestrap.
Thank you for replying by the way, I appreciate it! :)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rvcjew

Reaction score
oh so your phone is not dying just stuck at showing 1%?

OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
oh so your phone is not dying just stuck at showing 1%?

Yes, exactly.
Any help you can provide? Anything, even if it doesn't fix it, will be truly appreciated!
I just don't like how I don't know the actual percentage, and the red light is annoying me.
EDIT : For example, today, in the morning, my battery was fully charged(according to Android).
I go to school at 8, I unplug my phone at 7. It drains all the way down to 1% by 12 o'clock.
Until now(10:30) it has shown 1%... I use my phone heavily : texting, listening to music, sending pictures(especially today), using data, etc.

Last edited:

rvcjew

Reaction score
hmm, that is odd, and im sure you said you wiped battery stats. try this, if you haven't already. do the the steps in this order wipe battery stats again in CMW recovery, then use phone till it completely kills itself, then plug it in the wall not computer and let it charge all the way up with it off dont turn it on, then take it off the charger and put it on for another 5 minutes or so then unplug the charger before turning it on and see what android thinks. if its still messed up i think its the 1% increment mod in the rom thats messed up. have you tried re-flashing the ROM? EDIT: with a battery that big it may take android a week to figure it out the right way, but its still way wrong as of now.

OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
hmm, that is odd, and im sure you said you wiped battery stats. try this, if you haven't already. do the the steps in this order wipe battery stats again in CMW recovery, then use phone till it completely kills itself, then plug it in the wall not computer and let it charge all the way up with it off dont turn it on, then take it off the charger and put it on for another 5 minutes or so then unplug the charger before turning it on and see what android thinks. if its still messed up i think its the 1% increment mod in the rom thats messed up. have you tried re-flashing the ROM? EDIT: with a battery that big it may take android a week to figure it out the right way, but its still way wrong as of now.

Dude, thank you so much, I will definitely try this out right away, and update you on how everything is going by editing in this post. :)
Again, I truly appreciate your help! Have a great night man, I just noticed you're from California too! :D

rvcjew

Reaction score
Dude, thank you so much, I will definitely try this out right away, and update you on how everything is going by editing in this post. :)
Again, I truly appreciate your help! Have a great night man, I just noticed you're from California too! :D
He yeah I am near Ontario. Im also always on Skype too you can message me with the thing under my avatar on here.

OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
He yeah I am near Ontario. Im also always on Skype too you can message me with the thing under my avatar on here.

Alright man, I will do.
At the moment I'm at school using my original battery. It's 11:30 and it shows 76%. Seems like a legit percentage. When I get home I'm going to burn this battery and drain it down to 1% and see if it stays on 1% for a long time, or whether it dies.
After that I'll clear the battery stats and then drain the extended battery, etc. :)

OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
Well, I did it.. Once I booted up my phone.. it was already showing 95%..
And now after like 5 minutes it shows 82%...
Also, note that I am using the battery mod I found online on rootzwiki... not the stock one.. :eek:

rvcjew

Reaction score
nvm was dumb read on EDIT: why did you flash the mod 1% over the stock 1% in the rom? that changes the framework(might not hurt anything) but either way should take like three days for android to really read it right.

Last edited:
OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
nvm was dumb read on EDIT: why did you flash the mod 1% over the stock 1% in the rom? that changes the framework(might not hurt anything) but either way should take like three days for android to really read it right.

I flashed that because the 1% stock one in the ROM also wasn't being correct..
and okay so then I should just use my phone for like three days and you think it would? :eek:

rvcjew

Reaction score
I flashed that because the 1% stock one in the ROM also wasn't being correct..
and okay so then I should just use my phone for like three days and you think it would? :eek:

Yeah see for three days first and see if it improves.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
M

MasterChris

Reaction score
These past few days haven't changed anything, sadly. :(
It's been less than an hour off of the charger and it shows 75% remaining..
What to do now?