droid 3 dock

motorhome12

Reaction score
Hello All droid user,, I am looking to find a dock for my motorola droid 3 phone,, A verizon tech told me that the droid x dock would work with the droid 3.. I am so glad I check first because they dont. So Does anybody know where Is the cheapest place on line I can get the dock and possible a car holder for my phone.. THANKS anybody that can point the way...

Warglock

Reaction score
Just as a word of caution, the Motorola D3 HD dock does NOT do data transfer between a computer and your D3. I am sincerely hoping that Motorola will make a desktop dock that does data transfer with the dock screen like the OG D1's dock.

Darksthour

Reaction score
I got the Droid 3's dock station and it fits great with the extended battery. Not sure about the droid x one fitting although I would be a bit cautious because of the difference in size. It might fit but not comfortably and possible become annoying. I only use mine for by my bed so it's more of an alarm clock look.

Warglock

Reaction score
I have a synch and charge desktop cradle that I got from motorola droid 3 accessories. It was pretty inexpensive (19.99 if I recall correctly) and works exactly as they described it.

Thank you kind sir, I have been waiting for something like this. Does it activate the dock screen when you put your D3 in it?

REMilk

Reaction score
Just as a word of caution, the Motorola D3 HD dock does NOT do data transfer between a computer and your D3. I am sincerely hoping that Motorola will make a desktop dock that does data transfer with the dock screen like the OG D1's dock.

My understanding is that there are differences between the method used for dock detection. In the OG Droid, dock detection was through the use of magnets, in the Droid 3, it is based on electrical current supplied from a specific pin in the micro USB connector on the dock. This results in a proprietary usage/definition (read non-standard) of the pin connections on the 'dock'.

This type usage is true for both the Home Dock and the Car Dock. Neither dock can be used for data transfer between the Droid 3 and a PC.

If you have an OG Droid home/multimedia dock, you can 'mod' it so you can use it with the Droid 3. However, if you want/need the 'home dock app" to automagically (a favorite understandable non-word) start, you need a third-party app such as "Alarm Clock Plus". Search the Droid 3 forums for this 'mod'.

Bob

Warglock

Reaction score
My understanding is that there are differences between the method used for dock detection. In the OG Droid, dock detection was through the use of magnets, in the Droid 3, it is based on electrical current supplied from a specific pin in the micro USB connector on the dock. This results in a proprietary usage/definition (read non-standard) of the pin connections on the 'dock'.

This type usage is true for both the Home Dock and the Car Dock. Neither dock can be used for data transfer between the Droid 3 and a PC.

If you have an OG Droid home/multimedia dock, you can 'mod' it so you can use it with the Droid 3. However, if you want/need the 'home dock app" to automagically (a favorite understandable non-word) start, you need a third-party app such as "Alarm Clock Plus". Search the Droid 3 forums for this 'mod'.

Bob

You are quite right. I speculated as much in my D3 dock teardown in a different D3 dock thread. My issue with this debacle that is the D3 dock is entirely with Motorola. As an Android device manufacturer, they know full well that pairing your PC with your android phone can do many wondrous things, ie; development, tinkering/hacking, data transfer/syncing, ect. It just irks me..

ccates

Reaction score
you car cradle...

I have an extra brand new droid razr car mount. dont know if it will fit your phone but let me know.