Droid 2 Power Button Broken - Easy Alternative Fix

timskichicago

Reaction score
Droid 2 Power Button Broken - Get Past Battery Indicator, Alternative Power Up

Recently, My power button on my Droid 2 broke and I realized I didn't have any way to get the phone to power back on. I searched and searched around the internet to find an answer and found it hard to get a fix. I took my Droid 2 into verizon hoping that they new and alternative way to power my phone back on. Naturally, the sleezy salesman wanted me to upgrade however, I am not prepared to buy a new phone until the Droid Bionic releases. So he gives me a referral to a tech store that'll charge me some big bucks to fix a stupid stuck button. So what do i do...trouble shoot and figure it out myself for FREE.

Here's the criteria your Droid 2 must meet before you attempt this.

1. When you plug the phone into the WALL CHARGER (not USB), the
Droid 2 must go to the (M) Motorola start-up screen, and then to the liquid green battery life indicator.

-This also assures that the phone doesnt have any display issues or water damage affecting the power-up process.

2. Make sure the power button isnt stuck down, this can prevent this sequence from working properly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the alternative way to power up your Droid 2 if your Power/Lock button is Broken, i call it the "Pull Out Method"

(Make sure your battery isn't dead before attempting this)

1. Plug your Droid 2 into wall charger wait until the green battery indicator appears.

2. Press Shift/ALT/DEL and the screen should Black OUT.

3. Before The (M) Appears you have a 4 second black out try to time it out so that you pull the power cord out of the phone right before the (M) appears. If you get the timing wrong it will load the battery charging screen indicator. (This took me a few trys to get the timing, but now i "pull out" like a pro)

4. When you get it timed right, the phone must assume you pushed the power button because the (M) will then BOOT the Droid Eye and voila, Your phone has powered up again as if you were useing your power button again.

:icon_ banana:dancedroid

I hope this helps and can get you by until you have to purchase the Droid Bionic. The only thing is you have a charger cord to do this, otherwise im content as long as i dont have to front 500.00 for a new Droid.

Last edited:
OP
T

timskichicago

Reaction score
I've been able to do this on my car charger too...took a few tries but i got it to power up again!!

OP
T

timskichicago

Reaction score
Pull out method!

Ok i see 900 views on this page so far and no comments! Please leave a comment on your findings. :reddroid:

qwank

Reaction score
My power button broke a few months ago, I managed to get it turned on with a ball point pen but haven't turned it off since then. Well this morning my phone froze while using the Nav app so I was forced to take out the battery. The ball point pen method didn't work this time but this did! Thank you! I'm ready for an upgrade, but I refuse to sign a new contract until Verizon offers unlimited data again. (like I have now)

valentina

Reaction score
Thank you! I wonder how you ever figured this out. Your sharing of this tip is much appreciated. I thought my phone was dead forever when my power button broke, but this worked on the first try. And yes, I still have a Droid 2. And yes, it is time to upgrade.

Last edited:

jgrubbs

Reaction score
same happened to my droid 1, ended up just remapping the keys so the camera button was the power button.