Droid 2 Global unlocked - data availability with non Verizon SIM card- any success?

aznightshade

Reaction score
I bought SIM card in many countries: England, Netherlands, Germany, Iceland.
In Netherlands I actually bought 2 different SIM cards.
I made calls without any problems, but I was never successful getting any data. I have tried all kinds of different setting and I asked local reps to help me program the required APN data into the phone - nothing helped. SIM cards were capable of getting data - tested on European phones.

I was thinking about updating my Global 2 to DROID RAZR MAXX, but after I checked the forums, I noticed several people had the same problem with it as I did with Droid 2 Global - no data abroad with non-Verizon SIM cards.

I have plenty of old unlocked phones I can use abroad for voice only - there is no need for me to drag my latest smartphone just to realize one more time that it will not support any data = no maps, no apps unless there is a WIFI (so frustrating!). I do not know what Verizon does with their Global phones, but I don't think I saw a single post from people who bought their Global Android phones from Verizon and were able to get data with non Verizon SIM cards. The only phone which does not have this problem is an iPhone.

I'm not an iPhone person, never had it, but I'm thinking of buying one just to be able to get some data abroad.

It is a mystery to me why Verizon advertises their Global phones as Data Capable in over 205 countries, but it does not work if you pull out Verizon SIM and insert a different one. Did they put some kind of a lock on this feature for Android based phones? Honestly, I never tried getting data with Verizon SIM since their prices are very expensive, but I think it would work.

Ojelola

Reaction score
The phone is probably not picking up the appropriate APNs (Access Point Names) from the SIM card. Without the proper APN information, data services will not work. So, you would have to manually edit/add a valid APN for the area and service provider where you want to use the phone. On Motorola phones, you will usually find the APN setting through Settings / Wireless & Network / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names.

Last edited:
OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
The phone is probably not picking up the appropriate APNs (Access Point Names) from the SIM card. Without the proper APN information, data services will not work. So, you would have to manually edit/add a valid APN for the area and service provider where you want to use the phone. On Motorola phones, you will usually find the APN setting through Settings / Wireless & Network / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names.

I guess, everything is possible, but in this case seems very unlikely since I tested it in several countries with several SIM cards. I checked APN settings every time I would put in a different SIM to make sure I have appropriate ones. Also, local representatives from companies who sold me SIM cards actually updated my APN settings themselves (England - T-Mobile and Netherlands - Vodafone). One of the reps after a prolonged fight with my Droid 2 Global, inserted the SIM I bought into some phone they were selling and it showed data right away. This makes me think that we did everything possible, but for some unknown to me reason Verizon does not allow non Verizon data usage on their phones.

Ojelola

Reaction score
I guess, everything is possible, but in this case seems very unlikely since I tested it in several countries with several SIM cards. I checked APN settings every time I would put in a different SIM to make sure I have appropriate ones. Also, local representatives from companies who sold me SIM cards actually updated my APN settings themselves (England - T-Mobile and Netherlands - Vodafone). One of the reps after a prolonged fight with my Droid 2 Global, inserted the SIM I bought into some phone they were selling and it showed data right away. This makes me think that we did everything possible, but for some unknown to me reason Verizon does not allow non Verizon data usage on their phones.

Well, that certainly has me stumped.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Considering you also have issues on Verizon's own network without the VZW SIM card inserted, it's probably something either in the hardware or in the baseband.

Have you tried reflashing the phone? I don't mean factory reset, I mean using Motorola's programming software (RSDLite) with the corresponding SBF image. Your phone's system version is 4.5.629, right?

You can read about flashing SBF images here: SBF - The DROID Wiki

Do note that if your System Version is 4.5.629, you can only use the 4.5.629 image to flash your device.

RSDLite can be found here (and everywhere): RSD Lite 5.6 - xda-developers

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Considering you also have issues on Verizon's own network without the VZW SIM card inserted, it's probably something either in the hardware or in the baseband.

Have you tried reflashing the phone? I don't mean factory reset, I mean using Motorola's programming software (RSDLite) with the corresponding SBF image. Your phone's system version is 4.5.629, right?

You can read about flashing SBF images here: SBF - The DROID Wiki

Do note that if your System Version is 4.5.629, you can only use the 4.5.629 image to flash your device.

RSDLite can be found here (and everywhere): RSD Lite 5.6 - xda-developers

Thank you for the tip - never tried reflashing. I know, I have a separate problem with my Droid 2 Global, but that one does not bother me too much, not enough to go through this procedure. I was just curious to see if anyone else had it as it is quite strange and does not make sense.
If some people with Adroid based Global phones from Verizon confirm here that they got data access with non Verizon SIM abroad, I will try reflashing, but so far I only saw people asking for help and complaining that they cannot get data abroad (including myself). Maybe, there are not enough international travelers who use different SIM cards/carriers abroad with their Verizon phones to make it a big deal, but it is quite suspicious that so many people cannot get data.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I use the D2G from Verizon (I'm not a Verizon customer but it matters not when in GSM mode).

I'm on SoftBank in Japan, and on NWGSM in Russia.

I get 2G/3G data, no problems, with both SoftBank and NWGSM. MTS, Orange, T-Mobile Germany and Vodafone SIMs also work fine.

Also, reflashing usually doesn't wipe the /data partition. Flashing the same version of firmware you already have will only replace system partitions and the baseband. You will have to *228 or something, though, to program the phone to use VZW's network.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I had no problem in greece, singapore, bahrain, UAE, and Italy getting 3g and 2g.

Mostly the issue i found was having top add different apn settings.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I had no problem in greece, singapore, bahrain, UAE, and Italy getting 3g and 2g.

I meant with the droid2global that i had.

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
I use the D2G from Verizon (I'm not a Verizon customer but it matters not when in GSM mode).

I'm on SoftBank in Japan, and on NWGSM in Russia.

I get 2G/3G data, no problems, with both SoftBank and NWGSM. MTS, Orange, T-Mobile Germany and Vodafone SIMs also work fine.

Also, reflashing usually doesn't wipe the /data partition. Flashing the same version of firmware you already have will only replace system partitions and the baseband. You will have to *228 or something, though, to program the phone to use VZW's network.

That is reassuring, but since you are not current Verizon customer I have one more question: is your D2G rooted? Thanks!

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score

Great! I would like to know if
1) you were Verizon customer at the time you successfully used your G2D to get data abroad
2) if your phone was rooted
Thank you!

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Rooting has nothing to do with this. But it worked prior to rooting, too.

However, an unrooted D2G will have multiple issues with Vodafone NL SIM cards, as they have the exact same MCC/MNC as the Global SIM cards Verizon uses, and the firmware treats these in a special way.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I dont know about vodafone nl, but yes im a verizon customer, there were times i ran out of recharge and had to quickly slap in my Verizon sim cars to make a phone call(expensive, but i had to), and had no problemwhatsoever.