Unlocked Druid 2 Global abroad- no data!

aznightshade

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently in Netherlands. I brought my unlocked Droid 2 Global hoping to buy a local SIM card and use it instead of Verizon SIM. I got a new SIM from Vodafone, popped it in and realized that I could call and send SMS but I had no data (the plan I bought included 1G of data). I went through all the settings, rebooted, switched between Global and GMS networks- no luck. Then I read that someone had the same problem with this phone and wrote that when he inserted a mini SIM (which is for iphones +an ill fit for Droid 2), he got a data access right away. I bough a second SIM w 1G of data, this time a mini SIM. I also bought an adapter which turns mini sim into a normal size sim to make sure it will fit Droid 2 right away. I still have no data. It is a mystery to me and to all Vodafone representatives. I don't know why I have this problem and if there is any setting I can change to be able to use data. Is it possible that Droid 2 has locked data for non Verizon sim cards? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Also, my phone is not rooted. I got an unlock code from Verizon.

leobg

Reaction score
Did you create the necessary APNs for data to work?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

TJConnery

Reaction score
I use my D2G rooted phone in Ireland with my Verizon sim card. Could not get a foreign sim card to work with fission, so while I have limited and very expensive roaming data via 3G, I bought an O2 wifi hot spot. €50 for the device, and €20 for 5G of data per month and connect both the phone and Xoom. Works great!

I don't use voice much since it is so expensive.

BTW, I don't think you can get data in 2G GSM areas. That is the only drawback I have experienced.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

haro

Reaction score
check data delivery in setting, try enabled roaming data

set ur apn setting, if it cannot save, battery pull up
but try to do tis whr there a gd 3g signal

turnpike

Reaction score
no data is available in host countries with stateside verizon phones even it's offered on through the sim card company

something to due with phones designed for the states...

Last edited:
OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Thank you all for replying. I set APN as live.vodafone.com and had no problem saving it, it didnt switch to Verizons emgsm.vzw3g.com or another Verizons APN created for roaming (don't remember the name). I tried w roaming off and roaming on, didnt work. I will try again later and if anything changes, I will let everyone know.

If Turnpike is correct, I dont understand why Verizon would block data for their phones abroad when we use them w other carriers, but at the same time let us use voice and sms. It doesnt make sense to me... The only reason I switched to Verizon from AT&T is that they finally got a decent phone w a SIM card so I could use it freely abroad... Well, I thought I could...

Is it possible that this data blockage has something to do w Vodafone and Android phones?
I really don't want to waste more money on other carriers SIM cards unless someone can confirm that it is possible to use data w Droid2 Global without Verizons SIM.

Also, my signal on this phone is consistently weak. Rarely goes to 3 bars, usually stays at 1 or 2. I have the same problem at home, in USA. I put three Verizon phones side by side and my Droid2 Global w my husband's regular Droid would show 2 bars when an old LG phone shows 4.

leobg

Reaction score
You really need to read throughout the board here before posting all these questions, because they are pretty much covered all.

You can certainly use Droid 2 Global outside US with SIM card NOT from Verizon as long as you can havi it unlocked to accept foreign SIMs. Mine is a live example. I use it outside US with a sim card from local provider and pretty much it is alright.
All the rest (aside unlocking) is a matter of configuration of the settings of the phone and sometimes the model of the sim card you slide in. D2g does not like old sim cards, you need to get brand new if yours is 1+ year old. Turns out iPhone 4 sims (microsims) work best. Confirmed by another member on Vodafone NL and by me on Rogers Canada. This pretty much covers connection stability issues and cases when APN don't save.
Signal being shown as weak is known bug. Simply ignore it. You may have no bars on antenna and still be able to pump out 6Mbps downloads and make crystal clear calls.
One of the first steps you take is to switch phone to GSM/UMTS mode ONLY. Then reboot to avoid any issues with mix ups with baseband (and some cases of disappearing APNs), then go ahead in settings and add all required APNs for the operator your sim is from. You may or may not need roaming data on, depends on operator.
Across other boards D2g is being confirmed to work on many operators across North and South America, Central America, europe and Asia (havent seen anybody from Antarctica or Africa yet :) )
Make sure you go thru the stickies here in this board and don't hesitate to use the search function too :)

Since your troubles are on Vodafone NL, it might be a good idea to PM that member for more details and insight on the issue, since he was able to sort it out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL (on Rogers in Canada :) )

Last edited:
OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
For some reason Network Info II in "device" tab shows my USA's phone number and doesn't see my new one, from Netherlands.
The rest of the settings are fine: my MCC+MNC are 204 and 04.

I pressed *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer window to get to a debug menu, but the only message I saw related to a data was

GSM disconnects:======DATA=====
State: DcInactiveState
disconnected with last try at .... (time)
fail because Unknown Data Error
================ State: DcInactiveState
fail because No Error

I don't know what else can I do. I'm a little bit mad but I don't know if I should be mad at:
a) myself for switching to Verizon and getting a phone which is useless to me abroad
b) Verizon for blocking data capabilities abroad
c) Vodafone for not supporting data for Droid2 Global

OP
A

aznightshade

Reaction score
Thank you, Leobg

I bought a regular sized SIM from Vodafone 4 days ago.
I bought a micro SIM for iPhones a day ago, so my SIMs are pretty fresh.
As I already wrote, I also tried w different settings on and off, but I will repeat them all again and make sure every time I change something, I reboot.
I did use search function and learned a lot as it is. Thanks to everyone for the useful info! I guess, I could have checked for a "weak signal" problem before complaining, my bad... ))
I didn't know I had to get Masters in Droid2 Global in order to use it abroad, but it looks like this is the only way to make it work :))

You really need to read throughout the board here before posting all these questions, because they are pretty much covered all.

You can certainly use Droid 2 Global outside US with SIM card NOT from Verizon as long as you can havi it unlocked to accept foreign SIMs. Mine is a live example. I use it outside US with a sim card from local provider and pretty much it is alright.
All the rest (aside unlocking) is a matter of configuration of the settings of the phone and sometimes the model of the sim card you slide in. D2g does not like old sim cards, you need to get brand new if yours is 1+ year old. Turns out iPhone 4 sims (microsims) work best. Confirmed by another member on Vodafone NL and by me on Rogers Canada. This pretty much covers connection stability issues and cases when APN don't save.
Signal being shown as weak is known bug. Simply ignore it. You may have no bars on antenna and still be able to pump out 6Mbps downloads and make crystal clear calls.
One of the first steps you take is to switch phone to GSM/UMTS mode ONLY. Then reboot to avoid any issues with mix ups with baseband (and some cases of disappearing APNs), then go ahead in settings and add all required APNs for the operator your sim is from. You may or may not need roaming data on, depends on operator.
Across other boards D2g is being confirmed to work on many operators across North and South America, Central America, europe and Asia (havent seen anybody from Antarctica or Africa yet :) )
Make sure you go thru the stickies here in this board and don't hesitate to use the search function too :)

Since your troubles are on Vodafone NL, it might be a good idea to PM that member for more details and insight on the issue, since he was able to sort it out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL (on Rogers in Canada :) )

leobg

Reaction score
Thanks for taking my a bit overly criticizing post this way, it was too early in the morning when I posted :)

So, just to be sure I get everything correct, the problem you are facing is phone registers on 3G, you can make calls and you can text, but you don't get the indicator for data connection (3G or H, or E or G - latter two indicating 2G data connection) and you can't access anything on the internet. If you get data indication in status bar even for couple of seconds, this may indicate different issue.
if you don't get data indicator at all, do you happen to have a tiny blue R atop of antenna signal (which is indication for GSM roaming)? If so, you need to enable data roaming in settings to allow data connection to be established, I am pretty sure you checked that already, but it is on the list as it could be the case (MVNO operators and operators who share cell towers sometimes cause phone to believe it is roaming. It is not a problem for operator's own phones as they have patched software to cover for that, but for non-operator ones, this might be the case)
Another thing to check (stupid, but needs to be checked) is in the APN list, do you have the APN you want to use highlighted (radio box beside checked), I've seen this happen, so better check.
One more thing to check - access point type - often they ask you to put 'default' or other value there, often few separated by commas. Make sure all is written in lowercase and there are no spaces. Another thing to try is to leave this field completely empty - you can create extra APN to experiment with.
A bit later I will try to post an XML file with APN settings for Vodafone NL for you to use with APN backup& restore app you can get from market.

I love your comment about the having a degree in D2g use!!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

leobg

Reaction score
For some reason Network Info II in "device" tab shows my USA's phone number and doesn't see my new one, from Netherlands.
The rest of the settings are fine: my MCC+MNC are 204 and 04.

I pressed *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer window to get to a debug menu, but the only message I saw related to a data was

GSM disconnects:======DATA=====
State: DcInactiveState
fail because Unknown Data Error
================ State: DcInactiveState
fail because No Error

I don't know what else can I do. I'm a little bit mad but I don't know if I should be mad at:
a) myself for switching to Verizon and getting a phone which is useless to me abroad
b) Verizon for blocking data capabilities abroad
c) Vodafone for not supporting data for Droid2 Global

Does it do this with all SIM's you've got? Especially with the micro-SIM's?
Something very similar was happening when I was trying old non-Verizon sim on mine. It was showing the VZW one, but calls/messaging were working (I do not have roaming data on that SIM - it is a prepaid from Europe, so I couldn't test data).

So to confirm - APN's you create stay (do not get lost when you restart the phone) - right?

One more question - which version you have on your phone - 2.4.29 or 2.4.330?

haro

Reaction score
u need to have VZ worl wide / oversea data plan in order to use data in overseas

otherwise, get it unlock then inserted simkad with data plan

flyingcyclist

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved?

Did you ever get your phone to access the Vodafone data service? I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I am in the Netherlands with an unlocked Droid 2 Global, a Vodafone SIM and able to make and receive calls and SMS texts. But, I cannot access data services. Vodafone can't figure it out. I called the Verizon toll free # but they have no clue.

Has any one found a solution?

turnpike

Reaction score
nope..only way i can get to the market place is via a wireless connection other then that i'm still stuck...verizon refused to "grandfather" me in even after i spoke to the regional manager. the best offer was 3 months unlimited data..then it would revert to the new data plan...