Unlocked Druid 2 Global abroad- no data!

schumpeter

Reaction score
Very late reply, but I had the same problems in the Netherlands when I tried to use gsm/umts. The gsm part worked, but no umts/gprs connection. When I left the apn type box blank the internet connection directly started working (with provider Hi).

MariC

Reaction score
Same problem with droid pro in France

Hi. I can't get data on my Orange mobicarte with my unlocked droid pro in France. No one at the Orange store (I made several visits) or Verizon store (I called the store from which I bought the phone) or on the support lines of either could help me.
Perhaps this is a simple issue that I could fix by changing settings?
But I am not very tech savvy, so if someone could please explain simply how I fix this and if I am going to have a similar problem when I travel to Morocco, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

leobg

Reaction score
Are you able to place/receive calls and text messages with your Orange SIM in? If so - do the following:

1) ensure phone is in GSM/UMTS mode only (not Global) - this is very important: tap menu button, settings, wireless & networks, Mobile networks, Network Mode -> GSM/UTMS
2) reboot the phone as it sometimes fails to switch properly between modes and you may get issues on next steps.
3) again go to settings, wireless & networks, Mobile networks but this time open Access point names. You should be presented with blank screen - this is normal. Tap menu, then select "New APN", on the following screen - assign Name (for example Orange); the field APN you must enter orange. Look down further and put same orange on for both username and password fields. Leave all the rest fields unchanged. Tap menu button, from the menu select "Save". Screen will return back to the big black screen before you started entering new one, but this time you should see "Orange" on the top with a small circle checkbox. Tap on the circle so it becomes highlighted - a green dot will appear on it.
At this point phone should be able to connect to data services if data is not disabled. To make sure data is enabled - go to settings, data manager, data delivery and make sure "Data enabled" is checked as well as "Background data".
Hope this helps.

petarn

Reaction score
I have read through the forum and have seen that other people have the same problem, but no solution has been identified.

I have unlocked Droid 2 Global on T-mobile Macedonia, I can get voice, but no data. I tried manually setting the APN, I got the phone to connect to 3g for about 5 seconds and that it disconnected. Has not been able to get 3g ever since. I tried using a sim card from a different provider, but it won't connect to 3g at all, even with the right APN settings.

When i go to test mode I get the following message under GSM:
GSM disconnects:======DATA=====
State: DcInactiveState
disconnected with last try at .... (time)
fail because Unknown Data Error
================ State: DcInactiveState
disconnected with last try at .... (time)
fail because No Error

Sometime the State changes to DCConnecting to TMobile-mk, interent.. etc, but does not connect.

I have tried clearing the cache and re-setting the APN's - doesnt work.
I flashed with SBF - still no data
I enable roaming - still no data
Tried toggling aiprplane mode on and off - still no data
My APN settings are correct cause I get both EDGE and 3G on other phones.

Has anyone been able to solve this issue, and if so, HOW? Any ideas or solutions are welcome

Someone suggested it might be the baseband of the droid - mine is N_01.80.00.R. I ran Build # 4.5.1_57-D2G-38 and Kernel version 2.6.32.9-gb092e69w36084@ca25rhe92#2. The MMC and MNC codes from my sim card are read correctly.

RedGrendel

Reaction score
Think this one is SOLVED

I've been fighting this "no data" or Edge and 3G trying to start but won't for several months after moving to Morocco for work and had almost given up. My phone was unlocked with a valid Verizon provided code, got a local SIM with a data plan... I set my APN values to match my local SIM provider (MAROC telecom) and watched my Android fail where my wife's iPhone 4 immediately had data after inputing the APN values... ouch. I rooted my phone, tried different ROMS, almost everything until I found several great posts about the PPPD-RIL.OPTIONS file in /system/etc/ppp/peers on the Droid. It has 2 lines in it for setting the user name and password for connecting to the local data network. For different overseas providers these could be blank, they could be provided by the company or match Verizon's defaults...
For Maroc Telecom, you need to erase the user and password (but LEAVE the lines!) information.

I used OneClickRoot to root the device, ADB to pull the file, Notepad++ (not the one that comes with Windows) to edit the file, ADB remount the system into R/W, and then pushed the edited file. Locked into 3G almost as soon as I finsihed rebooting! :icon_ banana:

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Lol, using a foreign Sim card, all that's required for data is the correct APN (access point name). Depends on the carrier and the country, though. I've had to reconfigure APNs for a lot of the Sim cards I've used because I use a lot of data only cards (where they tell me it's only for use in a USB dongle for my laptop). I'm currently on one now in Greece (WIND mobile). I had to plug the dongle into my computer and install the software to see what the correct APN was, but once I added the correct one, data worked fine.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Really? That kinda sucks. Maybe because I'm going prepay and not contract? I've never even seen a Vodaphone store anywhere except Sicily and I had no problem getting data to work with that vodaphone chip, but that was Vodaphone IT. Where is NL?

I'm sorry you are having issues bro.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I'm not. NL is Netherlands. Verizon's Global SIM cards are essentially Vodafone NL, and certain build.prop settings need to be changed for it to work with that network directly (e.g. the one that forces text messages to go to VZW's SMSC).

Other than that there are carriers which, as was mentioned by RedGrendel, require certain settings to be made, and sometimes you just won't be able to use mobile data without editing some of the configuration files.