DRASTIC Battery Drain when Phone is Idle

Reaction score
I don't know WHAT happened with my phone. Anyways, I was watching some Youtube Videos and the phone COMPLETELY died. COMPLETELY. So I forget to charge it overnight but I did charge it in the morning until it said 30% in which I turned it on fully and then re-plugged the charger in. Maybe my 1st mistake was not letting it FULLY charge? Anyways, I start using it once it got to 80% and I noticed the battery was draining FAST. So I re-plugged it and charged it to 100%. Take the plug out and I left it there idle because I forgot to bring it with me. Mind you it's been about 4 hours. I come back to see it says 25%!! How does a phone that's idle for 4 hours go from 100% to 25%??? Any help? Would calibrating the battery help? I forgot how to do that though.

mamawm

Reaction score
sounds like something is running in the background that shouldn't be, try rebooting and see if that helps. also, check battery usage and post back what is says is using battery.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can install an app like Watchdog which monitors for runaway apps. If you have Bada$$ Battery Monitor (substitute "$$" with 'ss') it has an "App Sucker" which shows which app is the battery hog.

Reaction score
Maybe this is an old wive's tale or maybe batteries have evolved past this, but I've always though that plugging your phone in at various states of charge wreaked havoc with the battery's ability to hold a charge. I got the stand alone battery charger, which comes with an extra battery, from Verizon's website and run my battery completely dead then swap it out with the one from the charger. Seems to be working nicely so far. Also got the extended battery for long trips.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
xPlatinum-Androidx
Reaction score
All I know is that the Android OS is always almost at 50% when I check the battery. The second thing being less then 20% is Phone Idle.

OP
xPlatinum-Androidx
Reaction score
You can install an app like Watchdog which monitors for runaway apps. If you have Bada$$ Battery Monitor (substitute "$$" with "ss") it has an "App Sucker" which shows which app is the battery hog.

Turns out 50% of the battery is used by something called Kernel. What does that mean?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is an old wive's tale or maybe batteries have evolved past this, but I've always though that plugging your phone in at various states of charge wreaked havoc with the battery's ability to hold a charge.

Take a look at Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries for some information about charging Lithium-Ion batteries, which is a bit different from other batteries.

Turns out 50% of the battery is used by something called Kernel. What does that mean?

The Kernel is the main part of Android OS.

OP
xPlatinum-Androidx
Reaction score
I solved my own issue with the help of another topic here on DroidForums. Turns out, it's bad to be having a task killer. I was using the app Advanced Task Killer Pro which is why in my belief, that Android OS was seen as the battery drainer. But anyways, I deleted it, charged my phone to 100% and used the Battery Caliberation to caliberate my battery. And so far, my phone has gone back to normal

mamawm

Reaction score
Well the hard reset seems to have taken care of the issue for me (knock on wood). Only dropped 25% so far today.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
So what's the best way to calibrate the bionic? Just go into recovery and wipe stats?

yaterml

Reaction score
Heck I would be glad to only use one battery throughout the day. I I am on my 6th replacement and I have 6 yes 6 stock moto batteries to get me through the day...

OP
xPlatinum-Androidx
Reaction score
So what's the best way to calibrate the bionic? Just go into recovery and wipe stats?

Is your Bionic rooted? If so, like I said, download Battery Calibration, charge your phone to 100% and then press on Calibrate on the app.

Supposedly you need the battery die and then you have to recharge it again to 100% but in my case, just pressing calibrate fixed it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heck I would be glad to only use one battery throughout the day. I I am on my 6th replacement and I have 6 yes 6 stock moto batteries to get me through the day...

There are 4 extended batteries for the Bionic that you could use. Mugen makes 2, one uses the OEM door so if you have a case it'll fit.