Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
so the thunderbolt bosts about its speed on the 4g lte network

when i run a speed test i get results claiming download speeds of around 20 mbps

when i actually download i get speeds of around 20 kbps maxing out at about 100kbps in short sperts

even with out testing you can tell just by using the phone that
you are not getting speeds even cloes to 20mbps

it is yet another frustrating let down of the phone

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

markietas

Reaction score
There are a few reasons why this could be;

1. the server you are trying to download from is very slow and or congested resulting in very slow speeds on your end.

2. You may have had a strong 4g signal when you preformed the test, but when you went to download you may have lost 4g and been on 3g or had a very week signal.

johnd09

Reaction score
I had no problems with speeds, I was in 4g in Montgomery Alabama Friday and I had average speeds of 19mbps or so. I maxed out at 29 mbps!

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

tc3

Reaction score
I talk a lot of **** about how bad this phone is with the rebooting and all.

But the 4G is really fast 20 mb a sec was the minimum speed I got when I tested the speed. Closer to 22

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

VolDroid

Reaction score
The 4g/lte speeds would be the last thing I would complain about on this phone. My speeds on 4g are excellent.

MTBryan

Reaction score
When I run speed tests from my computer while on the 4g wifi hotspot (not from the phone), I get 12-15 mbps download consistantly, which is close to the 14-17 mbps I get from my cable modem. But my cable modem upload speed and latency is about twice as fast as 4g.
Not sure if you were expecting better or are not in an area capable of those speeds. But that seems pretty damn good to me for a cell phone.
Especially when a friend of mine on the Sprint network gets less than 1/2 of that on his 4g Evo.
I also never had the expectation of this being a full time Internet replacement so I am thrilled.

Sent from my TBolt

turdbogls

Reaction score
Umm. I downloaded a 12 song album in like 2 minutes.....when I get my 4G to work, it flies

OP
nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
People who are just running speed tests try actually downloading. When I tether my laptop to my phone 4g should be much faster than my wifi but its not.

Speedtesr says 20mbps. Actual downloads around 100kbps

sent from my thunderbolt

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Umm. I downloaded a 12 song album in like 2 minutes.....when I get my 4G to work, it flies

Same - when I stream an album with Subsonic on 4G, I get the entire album (~ 100 MB) in about 2-3 minutes.

OP
nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I think my phone is showing 4g when I don't have it BC in the city I get high speed in suburbs I get dial up slow data burly it still says 4g

sent from my thunderbolt

jseah

Reaction score
I think my phone is showing 4g when I don't have it BC in the city I get high speed in suburbs I get dial up slow data burly it still says 4g

sent from my thunderbolt

You could also be in a situation where in the suburbs the tower you are connected to happens to be very crowded. Or if the suburbs also happens to be at the edge of the 4G area, the speeds can be slower.

For example, when I am in NYC, a speedtest on my phone while standing on the streets of Manhattan will show dl speeds between 20-25 Mbps. When I am at my office in NJ (still in 4G area but at the edge....travel a mile away from my office and you lose 4G and fall back to 3G) my dl speeds are between 9-15 Mbps.

DAVID2010

Reaction score
My device loads videos, movies way faster than my 3G device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Even speed tests now are dropping. At my office where I used to get 20 mbps I'm getting 4.

sent from my thunderbolt

johnd09

Reaction score
If you are in a highly populated area there could be a lot of load on the network. LTE is going to put a lot of load on fiber networks when it starts getting loaded down.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

mkevinburton

Reaction score
You can check the internet speed by the online sites. I got 2322 Kbps on my 3G the other day when i tested it. I tested my speed in the site ScanMySpeed.com and was pleased with that speed.