download speeds with froyo

throwscoach

Reaction score
When I was running the leaked version of 2.2 I could download podcasts and video clips in about 3-5 min. Now those same downloads are taking 15 min. Did I reset something when I did my wipe or is the 2.2 download speed that much slower?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
wifi or 3g? hows your coverage? Try downloading the speedtest app and see what your connection speed is... Also, how large are the files? Did the site switch codecs?

OP
T

throwscoach

Reaction score
wifi or 3g? hows your coverage? Try downloading the speedtest app and see what your connection speed is... Also, how large are the files? Did the site switch codecs?

Coverage is good. Files are about 1mb. I don't know what codecs are...I use a podtrapper to download them.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Coverage is good. Files are about 1mb. I don't know what codecs are...I use a podtrapper to download them.

Install SpeedTest from the market and give it a run. Then try to download the podcasts. If its still really slow its most likely the host (where your downloading the file from) that slowed down. I didn't notice a change in my download rates on Froyo.

OP
T

throwscoach

Reaction score

Install SpeedTest from the market and give it a run. Then try to download the podcasts. If its still really slow its most likely the host (where your downloading the file from) that slowed down. I didn't notice a change in my download rates on Froyo.

Speed test put my max at 426 and upload speed at 200. I feel like that's about the change that I've seen.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Speed test put my max at 426 and upload speed at 200. I feel like that's about the change that I've seen.

How many bars do you have? Whats city are you in? Those are pretty crappy speeds lol.

spider210

Reaction score
This last week I getting crap speeds probably due to the amount of smart phones vs available bandwidth. Haven't thought much of it tho

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AtreyuRock

Reaction score
I used speedtest.

Has me at 1797 download, and 794 upload.

For some reason is has my server in PA, yet I live in NY, and Im in Manhattan right now, yet says the Manhattan server is over a 100 miles away.

Thats odd.

Wow, so I changed my server to NY, NY, and got better results.

2442 download, and 852 upload.

OP
T

throwscoach

Reaction score
I've tried 2 different speed tests, most recently by speedtest.net. that test got me at 270 download and 180 upload. What happened?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I've tried 2 different speed tests, most recently by speedtest.net. that test got me at 270 download and 180 upload. What happened?

Try a PRL update, dial *228 and press 2 once connected. It will update your roaming capabilities. Also, power cycle the phone afterwards (restart it).

Thats really weak coverage. The new update did have new PRL's. I just did an update myself and was given a different PRL set.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everybody I have seen uses speedtest.net app from the market. That's also what I use.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums