Downgrade from 2.2 FRG22D to FRG01B

bunited10

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to down grade my droid 1 from 2.2 FRG22D to FRG01B? iv looked eveywhere and i cant seem to find any explinations on how to do it

stewbee

Reaction score
I'd be interested in this too. I suppose it could be something else, but ever since FRG22D was pushed to me OTA last Thursday or Friday (9/2 or 9/3) morning I've been encountering some very strange (and frustrating) errors including but not limited to:

-Random restarts
-Errors related to not seeing the SD card (Camera, DoubleTwist, others)
-Issues w/ Navigation speech (noise bursts, voice cues stop causing me to miss a few turns coming back from Buffalo, NY, muting and unmuting did nothing to fix this)
-Navigation not remembering recent locations
-Facebook won't load profile data
-Pictures I took this weekend are nowhere to be found
-Extremely long redraws when switching back from CarHome

In short, my phone went from a positively fantastic device, to almost unusable in a day. I've tried numerous restarts, battery/SD Card pulls which will help for about 5 minutes (i.e. an app will see the SD card the first time it's launched and then loose track of it.) The only other possible contributing factor I can think of is there's not a lot of room left on the SD card, but that doesn't seem like it should cause this many problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. If I can revert w/o rooting, that would be great.

badog

Reaction score
I'm back on stock FRG01B and love it. Everything runs so much better. And I don't have to hassle with the corporate pin/password failure that is FRG22D anymore.

I flashed back to stock FRG01B, rooted and installed flash from the download. Works great. Check Pete's site (Peter Alfonso) for the stock files and use: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html to root, after that, when the OTA update comes, choose restart and install. SPRecovery will block it and you won't get notified again. You will loose everything except what is on your SD card and will need to reactivate your phone, but it's a pretty simple process...

That's how I did it anyway, your mileage may vary. Took me maybe 15-20 minutes, and another half hour to reinstall my apps from the market and setup my email accounts.

Edit: You can do this without root, but you'll get nagged about the FRG01B to FRG22D update constantly.

Good luck.

stewbee

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just a few more questions before I dive into this when I get home:

Would I want Stock System Files (Odexed or DeOdexed), or the OTA Updates?
How would I install w/o rooting?

Thanks again!

badog

Reaction score
I used the FRG01B SBF file and flashed using RSD Lite 4.7. That will put you back to stock FRG01B and no root.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just a few more questions before I dive into this when I get home:

Would I want Stock System Files (Odexed or DeOdexed), or the OTA Updates?
How would I install w/o rooting?

Thanks again!

You cannot install any of these without rooting. If you do not want to root you may want to try a factory reset. It fixes a lot of the slowness of the latest patch.

Snoking

Reaction score
And if you do not want to do a factory reset, do a manual install of the large FRG22D file. Chris

donerico

Reaction score
I'm back on stock FRG01B and love it. Everything runs so much better. And I don't have to hassle with the corporate pin/password failure that is FRG22D anymore.

I flashed back to stock FRG01B, rooted and installed flash from the download. Works great. Check Pete's site (Peter Alfonso) for the stock files and use: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html to root, after that, when the OTA update comes, choose restart and install. SPRecovery will block it and you won't get notified again. You will loose everything except what is on your SD card and will need to reactivate your phone, but it's a pretty simple process...

That's how I did it anyway, your mileage may vary. Took me maybe 15-20 minutes, and another half hour to reinstall my apps from the market and setup my email accounts.

Edit: You can do this without root, but you'll get nagged about the FRG01B to FRG22D update constantly.

Good luck.
I read to procedure, but what is not clear to me is what you are left when you are done? whatever you were on to begin with (FRG22D)? how do I "Flash FRG01B after I rooted? is there a guide for that somewhere? Sorry for the ignorance, I need a good overview tutorial on rooting, installing custom ROMS, kernels, sbfs, etc.

badog

Reaction score
It's pretty easy, just follow the steps. And remember, flashing the sbf file will reset your phone and all your settings will be gone and you'll have to reactivate like when you first got the phone. Your SD card will not be touched though.

stewbee

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I ended up doing a factory reset last night which seems to have helped a bit so far, although I'm starting to suspect that I have a corrupted SD card.

I copied everything important off it and removed it from the phone before doing the factory reset, and after the reset re-inserted it and formatted/wiped it. However everything is still on it, and when I try to use the camera it will take one picture, and seemingly save it to the gallery. When I then go to the gallery that picture will show up, but upon switching back to the camera it will say "Please insert an SD card before using the camera" and on switching back to the gallery it says "SD Card unmounted or not present", yet under Settings/SD card & phone storage settings it shows as mounted. This persists until I reboot the phone. Is there some way SD card permissions could have been altered?

I'm also now wishing I had done a better back-up as the only info about apps stored in the cloud was for paid apps (which accounted for maybe 10-15% of my apps), and no app settings (i.e. for Locale) were saved. I guess that's my lesson for next time...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Good luck.

Not only nagged, it will update you anyway to FRG22D when you reboot your Droid. It's a mandatory update so even if you try to avoid it, the update will catch up with you.

Rooting is the only way to avoid this.

OP
B

bunited10

Reaction score
how do you exactly do that? and is it posible to do it on a MAC?