[Double Follow-Up] LG D820 is NOT the CDMA LG G2 & Still Might be Nexus 5 After-all

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-5-android-44-kitkat-video-nexus-devices.jpg

Somedays you just feel like a ping-pong ball, and that's just fine! We have a potentially exciting follow-up to a follow-up. On September 6th we shared the story that a mysterious LG device with high-end specs passed through it's FCC testing phase. The industry speculation suggested that this device was none other than the Nexus 5. This was because it had virtually the identical specs to the LG G2, yet had a unique new model number, LG D820, and included a CDMA radio. Additionally, the configuration of components seemed to line up just right with the pics/video we previously viewed of a mysterious Nexus phone at the Google KitKat statue unveiling. LG Nexus fans (and fans of the LG G2 tech) suddenly had reason to rejoice!

Sadly, not too long after that, (September 9th to be precise), professional news leaker @evleaks seemingly burst that bubble by posting his "confirmation" that the LG D820 in the FCC filing was simply a CDMA version of the LG G2 and was not the Nexus 5. One of the reasons he came to this conclusion was that he had information that the D821 was an LG G2. He erroneously associated the D820 with the D821. This obviously left us wondering about what we might see in the future for the Nexus 5.

evleaks-retweet-d820-wrong.png

As it turns out, @evleaks was actually wrong, and even happily tweeted it (which you can see right above)! Yes, this shows that on occasion you might find a strange anomaly in the Matrix. At any rate, the reasoning for this reversal is two-fold. One, the actual dimensions of the FCC filing are quite a bit different than the dimensions of the LG G2. Two, the D821 just got its own filing, and lo-and-behold, it is a GSM version of the LG G2 with LTE support for Band 5. This new device's dimensions line up closely to the LG G2, but do not match the dimensions of the D820 device at all. This leads us back around to the beginning, in which everyone is now speculating the the D820 might still be the Nexus 5 after-all.

Of course, it could still be nothing of the sort, and might just be some completely different device, but the signs are still good that it is the Nexus. Is your head spinning yet? Welcome to the party! ;)

Source: AndroidAuthority

Asgard

Reaction score
Personally I'm getting tired of the "leaks" because just see what happened to apple two days ago, we already knew everything, they could've saved money if they just said: "hey, everything that you have heard previously it's true, here is the 5c and the 5s, thanks for your time"

I say it before and will say it again, would be interesting if some manufacturer really surprised us using all this "leaks" (because come on, this guy gets paid to share this info, that's why he is a professional leaker) as bait for a product that is fake and then at the keynote say: It was all a fake, here is the real one.

But maybe I'm just getting old

Asgard

Reaction score
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...Frame=N&application_id=199417&fcc_id=ZNFVS980

^more pics

Edit: fixed link, click the 4th one down that says external photos

There is a letter in that link stating that all the internal and external pictures must be kept in confidentiality and away from the public, and the next 2 links are the external and internal pictures freely available to the public.

Also the filling says Aug 15, how come is just showing today/yesterday?

Edit: Also the manual from that link says that it IS indeed the Verizon LG G2

Last edited:

squeak

Reaction score
There is a letter in that link stating that all the internal and external pictures must be kept in confidentiality and away from the public, and the next 2 links are the external and internal pictures freely available to the public.

Also the filling says Aug 15, how come is just showing today/yesterday?

Edit: Also the manual from that link says that it IS indeed the Verizon LG G2

I think that manufacturers can request for certain things to be kept confidential until the product is launched, and it was probably filed on the 15th and just became public today. I think the reason it became public today is that all of the other info in that filing is for the Verizon LG G2 and I think someone screwed up and included pictures of the wrong device, and guess what device did launch today? The Verizon LG G2.

WestOkid

Reaction score
I think that manufacturers can request for certain things to be kept confidential until the product is launched, and it was probably filed on the 15th and just became public today. I think the reason it became public today is that all of the other info in that filing is for the Verizon LG G2 and I think someone screwed up and included pictures of the wrong device, and guess what device did launch today? The Verizon LG G2.

Its not just pictures. The dimensions in the filing do not match the G2 at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Gimic26

Reaction score
Its not just pictures. The dimensions in the filing do not match the G2 at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

The SAR testing has results for Verizon's LTE band 13 and LTE Advance band 4