Doing a blog write up about extending battery life

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see how manually putting the phone to sleep really saves much battery. The min default setting is 15 seconds, but a minute seems reasonable to not have it accidentally shut off while reading a long email or web page. But I've gotten 12-13 hours of battery with the screen on ALL DAY (at min brightness, which is perfectly fine indoors), so those 20 minutes you're saving don't seem worth it to me as your phone should generally make it thru the day with no problems if it's always sleeping when not in use.

I'm still searching for what I consider to be the ideal set-up: Phone shuts off WiFi, GPS and Bluetooth and then sleeps when placed on a table. Phone turns on all that stuff and "wakes" - unlocked to my default home screen - simply by picking it up OR if I receive a text, email or call (in those cases, it wakes for a minute to let me check it out). This is how the phone SHOULD operate to maximize battery with minimum hassle. It needs an alternative or second "sleep" mode that doesn't require unlocking and/or hitting a button to wake. I understand the purpose for when you are on the go and/or it's in your pocket, but at home and the office I want the power savings of sleep mode without the hassle of waking and unlocking.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nobody has every been able to tell me...what is the point of screebl if you lock the screen immediately after using the phone?
The point of screebl is I don't want my screen to go dark as soon as I open it up but I want it to go dark if I lay it flat. Screebl has settings that allow you to set it up so that it will sleep if it's in specific positions. The other point of screebl is you can use it to keep your phone bright if you don't want your phone to go dark when you put it to your face.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I don't see much (if any) battery saving potential using Screeble, but it is nice if you do a lot of reading on the phone where you don't want to have to keep touching the screen or turning the screen back on when it times out. That said, when the text is large enough on my screen to be able to read it, I usually have to scroll before my screen ever times out. I have Screeble installed, but don't really use it.

YMMV, of course. In my case, I found it very irritating to set my timeout to 15 seconds (to save battery) and have to repeatedly refresh the screen, so I had it set at 2 minutes.

Checking my battery use suggests that Screebl significantly reduces the proportion of my battery use devoted to "display."

Yeah, I can see how it could help depending on your habits and how you use your phone, but for me, I don't think it does.