do i HAVE to root my phone to move apps to my sd card?

akinad21

Reaction score
When i google "apps to sd card galaxy s3" Everywhere i look there is nothing but rooting advice. Is there an app for it or do i really have to root my phone and if so how do i do it?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Unfortunately I don't believe so.

Now out of curiosity, why are you wanting to move apps to the SD card?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
If I am not mistaken, and I could be wrong, you cannot use an app to SD on the S3. I say this based on; Apps2SD Pro in which the dev states:

Galaxy S3 and Note2 is not supported:
* Galaxy S3 and Note2 configures the SD card as a secondary external storage. This is configured by Samsung. Nothing developers can do about this. Please contact Samsung for details.

I was a little disappointed by this, but oh well. The GS3 has enough storage to handle the average app user. Power users may beg to differ.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'd say the only power users who would disagree are hardcore mobile gamers. Most apps hardly take over 500mb, some a bit higher. But the vast majority of space taking apps are games, some are up to 6gb or something. So if you have a TON of those major games then you'd just have to put everything else on the SD card. But I'd be willing to bet most of those types of gamers have an Xperia or something anyways..

I have several "major games" (like Nova, Modern Warfare, Bards Tale, few more) installed and about 200ish other apps, including movies and some music etc I've used 17 of 32gb. At this point it's got pretty much everything I need with plenty of room to spare. And then I have a 32gb sd card for everything else.

I used to move Apps2sd with some of my older phones, but with the S3 you really don't have to. And it's great.

Now I do believe you can put apps on the SD and install them from the S3. If you need to say back them up or use in another phone or something. I think...