Did I brick my Phone? Please help

djgdroid

Reaction score
I had rooted my phone a week ago and running the standard rom. Everything was fine but I wanted to try a ROM. Last night I tried CM7 and it installed but I forgot to get the gapps. I restored my backup and it was back to the way it was. Then I again used Rom Manager and this time chose to download CM7 & gapps. It worked, then I went onto the market and downloaded Titaninum backup because I couldn't find it. I set it up and restored all apps with data. BTW I had 200+ to go thru so if this isn't bricked I'm purchasing the PRO version. After I went thru all the apps, I rebooted and the screen is stuck at the cyanogen mod 7 screen with the arrow going around. It was like that for over an hour so I took out the battery and tried it again. Same thing, so I decided I'd go into hboot and restore my old backup. I took out the battery again and held down the power and vol down but nothing except a vibrate happened. I can still turn it on to the cyanogen screen but can't seen to hboot. What do I do???

m6droid

Reaction score
I don't think you're bricked.

Instead of holding Volume Down to go into the hboot, hold volume UP to go directly into recovery. If that works, try reinstalling your old backup.

Remember when installing new roms to wipe data AND cache. Sometimes it may be necessary to wipe the dalvik cache too. Additionally, some phones just don't like some roms and/or kernels. If you're stuck in the bootloop then my amateur guess is it's a kernel problem.

I would try the volume up first though. If you can't get into recovery mode from that, not sure. You may need more professional help.

OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
Thanks for any help.
I was using the Rom Manager and chose the option to wipe disk. I don't know if that wipes everything or not.
I just took the battery out an held down the vol up and the power at the same time, and kept them held down but nothing happened.
Wow, if I bricked this my wife is going to kill me

m6droid

Reaction score
Thanks for any help.
I was using the Rom Manager and chose the option to wipe disk. I don't know if that wipes everything or not.
I just took the battery out an held down the vol up and the power at the same time, and kept them held down but nothing happened.
Wow, if I bricked this my wife is going to kill me

Hm...well, I am wrong about volume up. I thought it took you to recovery. It's just a diagnostic tool apparently after some more research.

After a battery pull, your phone still won't boot into hboot by holding volume down?

Edit: Re-read your post. Just to make sure: You have the phone off, you hold down the volume DOWN, then press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds and then let it go while continuing to hold down on the volume DOWN? And nothing happens? Does your phone boot up at all if you just turn it on?

Last edited:
OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
m6droid
I got to hboot!!! thanks to you

I don't want to screw up now. Do I move down to recovery and select it?

Last edited:
OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
YES!!!
Thank you SOOOO Much!
I don't know how you feel about your day, but you sure made mine. I just hope I can help someone else like you did. Thanks again!

I was a little nervous just rooting my phone and made sure I did everything exactly. I'm going to have to read up on things before I try updating ROMs again.

m6droid

Reaction score
YES!!!
Thank you SOOOO Much!
I don't know how you feel about your day, but you sure made mine. I just hope I can help someone else like you did. Thanks again!

I was a little nervous just rooting my phone and made sure I did everything exactly. I'm going to have to read up on things before I try updating ROMs again.

Not a problem dude. Glad your wife won't kill you now (LOL)! We've all been where you are and I know how it is being new to flashing roms.

This is what I do when flashing ROMs on the Incredible:

1) Download whatever ROM to your SD root
2) Backup apps/data in Titanium Backup (not necessary, but makes transitioning easier)
3) Backup current setup so I have something to go back to that worked.
4) Reboot into recovery mode
5) Wipe cache in recovery
6) Wipe Data in recovery (Choice is called "Wipe Data/Factory reset")
7) Choose install from SD card
8) Install
9) Optional: In Recovery go to "advanced", then clear Dalvik Cache
10) Reboot and set up!

Last edited:
OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. It looks like you don't use Rom Manager but just go thru hboot to backup, wipe and install your Rom's.

Man was I sweating over the possibility of having my phone bricked. I hope I get over the fear of trying to do this again.
Thanks again
dancedroid

givmedew

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. It looks like you don't use Rom Manager but just go thru hboot to backup, wipe and install your Rom's.

Man was I sweating over the possibility of having my phone bricked. I hope I get over the fear of trying to do this again.
Thanks again
dancedroid

FEAR NOT MY FRIEND!!!!

It is very very hard to brick this phone. Once you have a recovery program and updated radio that is. Getting the recovery and upgrading the radio are really the only parts that you can screw up.

Putting a crapy rom in isn't going to brick your phone because you should always be able to get to your recovery. So since unrevoked.com exists you really have nothing to sweat because you really have nothing to do!

They have taken out all the hard work. I did't use them to do my incredible root but I did use them for the unrevoked forever part of it. I have to say they made the game much easier.

So don't worry!