Despite how many people complain about verizon, it could be worse.

dillont

Reaction score
Just read on a CNET column that AT&T has been throttling people who were grandfathered in on unlimited data plan and were going over 2GB data/month. They are claiming that anyone who is going over 2GB is in the top 5% of heavy data users, but the won't divulge how the figure out who is in the top 5%. It sounds like they are just trying to push people to switch to their 3GB plan that also costs $30. I find it very hard to believe that 95% of AT&T customers use 2GB or less each month. Everyone in these forums would probably be throttled if we were on AT&T. All phone companies suck! Just be glad you are not on AT&T!

SallyC

Reaction score
I've read about this too and wondered about the legality of it. I see where, technically, you still have unlimited but if you have the speed intentionally reduced that seems like a change in the feature's specs. Unless this is spelled out when they sign up for unlimited.

With VZW I don't believe they could do this, legally, because I don't think there's anything to indicate you will be throttled after a certain point.

But for me, Verizon is the best. No one else has the coverage in my area. Plus I've been very happy with their customer service.

OP
dillont

dillont

Reaction score
Ya I knew that AT&T has been throttling the data of their heavy users for a while. I was just surprised to learn that they consider anyone who guess over 2GB to be heavy users and in the top 5 percent. especially with 4g it is really easy to go over 2GB a month, even with moderate use. I agree that Verizon is the best as far as reliability and their network. I wouldn't want to switch to another provider, but Verizon is still a greedy corporation that will.always pursue what will make them.the most money over what would be on the v best interest of their customers.

Reaction score
I have a friend who has At&t and he said that they told him that they will start throttling his data usage..and boy is he highly upset about that..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

thc1967

Reaction score
When I read the title to your post, my first thought was, "We could be stuck on AT&T"... lo and behold, that was your punchline! :icon_ lala:

I don't see myself ever going back to AT&T. Choosing a cell phone carrier is like voting for politicians. The best we can hope for is to get the least evil one. Same with home ISP's come to think of it...

jdroid80

Reaction score
That's pretty lame. I can't believe if anyone ever watches a bit of Netflix, or Youtube, or any media, that they would stay under 2GB.

OP
dillont

dillont

Reaction score
I also knew that Verizon had the ability to throttle data, but I haven't really heard anyone complaining about it. If they are they are not doing it add extremely as AT&T. If Verizon was throttling over 2GB my data would be throttled every month. When i first got my razor and was using it all of the time i used like 15gb one month and didnt notice a decrease in speed. I think that it is stupid that all of the phone. Companies. are. tryingto push their new flagship phones that you can use to stream videos and live tv, stream music and video chat on all at amazingly fast speeds, but in order to do theses things more than a couple times a month you have to either be grandfathered into a unlimited data plan that may or may not be throttled. Or pay a rediculous amount of money to get enought data each month through their tiered plans if you want to use the phone to its full potential. They complain about bandwith hogs, yet try to sell you expensive phones with capabilites that will eat up data if you use them for their advertised purposes. They need to realize that they can't have it both ways and it is not the customers fault that they sell us high tech phones that eat up tons of data on their 4g network, which then gets clogged up because they don't have enough bandwith to support this usage.

Zandar

Reaction score
It's pretty BS to sell a phone with Slacker and Netflix preinstalled and then cap and/or throttle data use. I get WiFi speeds everywhere and the streaming, data hungry services of a full sized computer with an HDMI out but no option to use it.

I'm speaking for others, here. I have unlimited data with unlimited tethering, but most don't. I have the option to drop Comcast like a bad habit (which I'm doing). Verizon should wise up and offer this to everyone. I'm willing to bet a lot of people would do like me if given the opportunity, and Verizon could gobble up all that luscious green people would otherwise spend on their broadband company. I get a fairly consistent 5.5Mbps up and down and no cap for $30/month for my phone and $30/month for my hotspot; Comcast (when they're not running a special) in my area is $42/month for 1.5Mbps capped at 250GB/month. The telcoms could revolutionise the industry, but, ironically, their greed gets in the way of their profits. Funny old world, sometimes.

SallyC

Reaction score
It's pretty BS to sell a phone with Slacker and Netflix preinstalled and then cap and/or throttle data use. I get WiFi speeds everywhere and the streaming, data hungry services of a full sized computer with an HDMI out but no option to use it.

I'm speaking for others, here. I have unlimited data with unlimited tethering, but most don't. I have the option to drop Comcast like a bad habit (which I'm doing). Verizon should wise up and offer this to everyone. I'm willing to bet a lot of people would do like me if given the opportunity, and Verizon could gobble up all that luscious green people would otherwise spend on their broadband company. I get a fairly consistent 5.5Mbps up and down and no cap for $30/month for my phone and $30/month for my hotspot; Comcast (when they're not running a special) in my area is $42/month for 1.5Mbps capped at 250GB/month. The telcoms could revolutionise the industry, but, ironically, their greed gets in the way of their profits. Funny old world, sometimes.

I'm curious about a couple things related to this.

1) If you drop Comcast and use hdmi out, do you have the ability to view network or cable channels somehow or will you be using a combination of apps like Netflix and Hulu + (although I guess that's pretty limited if you're not viewing by browser) to access your programming?

2) If VZW is throttling you, do you know by using something like speedtest.com or do they notify you?

I tried to go to the Engadget link but it was down. Maybe it answers my second question.

Zandar

Reaction score
I'm curious about a couple things related to this.

1) If you drop Comcast and use hdmi out, do you have the ability to view network or cable channels somehow or will you be using a combination of apps like Netflix and Hulu + (although I guess that's pretty limited if you're not viewing by browser) to access your programming?
I'd just use Netflix or YouTube. I haven't had regular cable service in probably six years. I cut it out to cut expenses right before I got married and, after the first month, never missed it. I only recently got Netflix and I may drop that, too.

2) If VZW is throttling you, do you know by using something like speedtest.com or do they notify you?

I tried to go to the Engadget link but it was down. Maybe it answers my second question.
I have yet to be either notified or throttled. I do use SpeedTest.net's app to monitor my speeds, so I'd know if I were being throttled or not. I honestly haven't heard of Verizon actually throttling anyone, but I know they retain the right to do so.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Verizon has always stood by their "legally, we can throttle you but we assure you that we do not implement throttling" statement. How much of this is true is user speculation, but I have never had an issue. Judging by the infamous data use threads I have to say its true.