Deleting Stock Apps

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
so i was just curious, what stock apps is it unsafe to delete? i have been deleting my stock apps using the commands:
*[FONT=&quot]cd /system/app (enter)
/system/bin/mv Your_APP.apk Your_APP.apk.bak
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](as far as i know, this does not delete the file incase you ever wish to re install it. it simply makes it not appear as an app so its not in your apps list.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
and all my apps worked that i tried except "Voice Mail." i entered:
/system/bin/mb VVM.apk VVM.apk.bak

and i did not get an error message. no voice mail apps appear in root explorer or astro or titanium backup, so i know it worked, but it still appears in my apps list.
Heres the weird part, i just figured out clicking the app "Voice Mail" takes me to my stock HTC Messaging app and has all my txts listed. so can i delete the messaging app to see if that will work?
[/FONT]

Gadawgs29

Reaction score
did u delete all ur stock apps, i have removed city id, footprints, and some others but not the other ones. was curious to do the same cmd line to remove city id but wasnt sure if thatd work also

OP
S

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
i removed most of them, but got stuck with the sync icon in notifications bar, so i had to do a nand restore and now they're all back. i finally figured out it was complications with facebook and friend stream, this problem is widely publicized now, but back when i did it right when root first came out i wasnt really sure which were safe and which werent. basically, dont delete friend stream if you wanna continue to use facebook

soledadreturns

Reaction score
so i was just curious, what stock apps is it unsafe to delete? i have been deleting my stock apps using the commands:
*[FONT=&quot]cd /system/app (enter)
/system/bin/mv Your_APP.apk Your_APP.apk.bak
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](as far as i know, this does not delete the file incase you ever wish to re install it. it simply makes it not appear as an app so its not in your apps list.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
and all my apps worked that i tried except "Voice Mail." i entered:
/system/bin/mb VVM.apk VVM.apk.bak

and i did not get an error message. no voice mail apps appear in root explorer or astro or titanium backup, so i know it worked, but it still appears in my apps list.
Heres the weird part, i just figured out clicking the app "Voice Mail" takes me to my stock HTC Messaging app and has all my txts listed. so can i delete the messaging app to see if that will work?
[/FONT]
just a question..you are talking about the cmd lines above..where do u go to type that? and what program do u use? can u show me the steps