Deleted text messages keep reappearing

pkthedreamer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been having this problem for a while now. I delete text messages but then a few weeks later, all of them just start reappearing. Messages from months ago start flooding back into my inbox, slowing down everything to the point where it's impossible to text.

I am currently using Handcent, but when I open up the stock text messaging, they are reappearing there as well.

This has happened several times already and it is really getting annoying.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

qneela

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the exact same problem... first with my Droid and now with my Droid X. I only just purchased my Droid X yesterday and this morning my Handcent / Messaging inbox was full of thousands of messages I have sent over the past few months. Given that I only just purchased the X yesterday, there is no way these could be hidden anywhere on the phone.

My suspicion is mIQ, but if I look at my messages stored on the miqlive web site, there are only a handful there from the past 3 days. But at least 2 months worth are showing up on my phone.

Funny enough, when they were showing up on the Droid, they showed up with their original date stamp. But on the X, they are all showing up with today's date.

This problem is maddening because as the original post states, your phone is nearly unusable while the download / restore is occurring.

Any help is appreciated.

OP
P

pkthedreamer

Reaction score
Sorry for not posting earlier I just wanted to wait a while to see if I solved the problem.

I think the problem was mIQ like you suspected. I had that suspicion as well so I deleted it around the time I made this thread and so far everything seems to be good.

It has been less than a month however so I'll have to wait and see if it stays this way.

I have a strong belief that mIQ was the problem though.

qneela

Reaction score
Well darn... I like mIQ... it is a shame to have to disable it. But I guess the frustrating alternative is much worse.

bmacnfry

Reaction score
Thanks for the mIQ tip. This has been driving me crazy. There is a setting in mIQ that lets you turn off synching for messages. Going to give that a shot. Hope it works so that I don't have to remove mIQ altogether.

larlfyuit

Reaction score
Usually, iTunes will automatically backup your iPhone when you sync with iTunes. If you have the backup, then you can recover deleted SMS messages on iPhone 4 will be easily:

Here are the steps:
Click the "File" menu and select "Devices" > "Restore from Back up".
Or
Open the iOS device's "Summary" tab. There are two ways to access this:
Click the device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper right corner. The device button will then be visible.)
From any view in iTunes, click the "View" menu and select "Show Sidebar". Select your iOS device in iTunes under "Devices:.
Click the "Restore Backup" button.
Read more: http://www.recovery-ipad.com