Decryption

Dana J. George

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
Hello. I am new to this forum. My question is on decrypting my S5.
I originally had one for Verizon. Due to work e-mail, my phone and SD was encrypted. I went to Sprint and got an S5 with them this past Sunday. I want to use the SD card in my new phone, but it will not allow me to decrypt my phone or SD. There's no 'disable' option and my work e-mail is no longer on that phone. I have my sons pictures and videos on there so I can't just re-sett everything. Any help? Verizon phone service is disconnected. Is that the issue?
Thanks in advance.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sadly, if Samsung is anything like Motorola, the phone's unique MEID or electronic serial number is used in creating the hashcode which is used to build the encryption. If you wish to decrypt the card in all liklihood it must be decrypted in the same phone it was encrypted in, otherwise it may be lost forever.

OP
D

Dana J. George

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
I still have the SD card in the Verizon phone. I can not get the phone to decrypt nor the SD card. I went to the Verizon store and they couldn't help nor could tech support to my job.

OP
D

Dana J. George

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S5
The phone seems like it is stuck between de-crypting and encrypting. If I take out the SD card and the re-sett to factory settings for the phone, can I put the SD card back in and then decrypt the SD Card?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The phone seems like it is stuck between de-crypting and encrypting. If I take out the SD card and the re-sett to factory settings for the phone, can I put the SD card back in and then decrypt the SD Card?
Absolutely not! If you factory reset the phone, whatever encrypted data is on that card is lost permanently and forever. The phone uses a hash code which is created when you encrypt the data on the card, and that hash code uses a combination of several items on the phone to include not only the phones meid, but also a random number generator. If you reset the phone the statistical odds are that it would take several hundred thousand if not millions of years of attempts to land on that same random number in order to properly decrypt the card.

However, if the phone will not pick up the card and it is still in the same state as it was when the card was encrypted, there's a good possibility that the data on the card is lost forever anyway. The only way to ever access it is by using the exact same phone and the exact same operating system with that card in the same state that it was in when it was encrypted.

Come back to this thread and we'll see if we can help you.