Date & Time Issue - Android 4.4.2

support@bris

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I work in the support section of a small software company that supplies a software suite to hospitals, we have 2 PC applications and an Android application that work in tandem. At one of our sites they have been having an issue whereby some of their devices (Motorola Moto G2, Android 4.4.2) will randomly reset the date and time to random years (1970, 2040, etc) which is problematic as our software is a real time system that requires the use of time stamps from the devices. If they don't have the correct date and time then it can impact the way the software works, to the point where the devices will no longer connect into the system. I will also note that we use an application (SureLock) to lock the phone down so that it can only use our application.

I have tried several solutions to this problem, including making sure that the automatic date and time settings are not switched on, making sure that the batteries are not completely draining, etc. but have been unable to come up with a solution and I cannot find other users who have the exact same problem.

Some excerpts from my open ticket:
"...the issue was related to the date and time on the devices changing to random years (i.e. 1974, 2036, etc). This has been an issue in the past and so they now untick the "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" settings within android and set the date and time correctly which solves the issue. But the phones are still randomly changing their date and time even with those settings unticked."

"...We charge our phones fully every day, so it would be extremely rare for a battery to be fully drained. Think it must be something else happening."

"...
Motorola – Moto G – Android version 4.4.2
Date/Time not set to automatic – but we have noticed that this makes no difference – problem still occurs whether the automatic is ticked or not.
Issue occurs on random phones and at differing times of day."

"... Problem is still occurring but not so often. I was keeping a track of when it happened but there did not seem to be any pattern. The only thing I noticed was that one of our Operators who has a cochlear implant seemed to have it happen by far the most often. Could there be some interference from the implant?"

I found one other thread on another forum but it was in relation to the Samsung Galaxy Centura, and this was solved by either unticking Automatic Date & Time or checking the calendar application's time settings. I have tried both of these to no avail.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, any help or info would be much appreciated.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
With all these tech geeks on here, I can't believe no one has jumped on this to try to help you. Trust me, you don't want my help , but someone should have some ideas for you. Hang in there and good luck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have read about this on numerous forums with various phone models and never seen a sold "fix" or explanation for why this happens.

But, it's normally one phone by one user. Since you have phones connected to your server, the situation might be different?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
support@bris

support@bris

Reaction score
Yes, the phones are connecting to a web service through Wi-Fi which points to a database.

Having looked through many other threads I have found similar issues with KitKat, albeit, not as dramatic as this e.g. phones only going back 5 hours not back or forwards several decades.