Data encryption

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by km75, Aug 22, 2011.

1. km75

km75 New Member

Has anyone used the data encryption feature for their D3? More specifically has anyone used the feature to encrypt their sd card and their internal storage? I currently have the phone data encrypted but not anything else. My concern is that when/if I encrypt my sd card that if I try to sync my music, pictures etc to my laptop by way of a usb cable my laptop won't be able to read the data. Is my concern warranted?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  2. km75

km75 New Member

Is there anybody out there that uses the data encryption feature for their D3 or no?

3. Dmw017

Dmw017 New Member

Lol yeah I don't use it just to be on the safe side

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  4. km75

km75 New Member

Well apparently from the lack of responses nobody else does either. Lol. But i would of thought at least one person out there does mobile banking on their phone and felt the need for data encryption. Guess i thought wrong.

5. alynch

alynch New Member

Works fine.

I just turned it on today, but for device only (not for /sdcard or /sdcard-ext). I'm also rooted, via the manual method.

It works perfectly fine, with no noticeable slowdowns, even when my D3 is under-clocked to 600mhz using SetCPU. Haven't gotten a bead on battery drain yet, but I'm not too worried. After removing bloatware, before encrypting, I was getting 2 days of use on a charge.

The reason I haven't encrypted the "external" storage partitions is due to the warnings about not being able to capture video at high data-rates. I have a class 10 microSDHC card, so I might be okay... But I'll wait until I have time to back it up to a tarfile before I test it out.
  6. km75

km75 New Member

The problem I had with encrypting the sd card/ sd card extension was that when I tried to upload music files to my computer my computer couldnt read the files. So I'm no longer using it. A little off topic but setcpu actually functions correctly for the D3? I'm rooted as well.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  7. alynch

alynch New Member

Regarding the USB connectivity, I could see that being an issue. For music, I'm a Google Music user, so that comes down via the network. And as for the rest of my content, I use a combination of rsync/ssh to/from my home storage array or an Amazon EC2 instance (as needed)- and that's over the network, too.

So in my case, I'm not too worried about not being able to read the storage partitions via USB directly. The fact that I shouldn't be able to, however, does make a lot of sense, however- the filesystem itself is encrypted using eCryptfs.

I should also be able to extract the encryption keys from the Droid 3's mount daemon and use them to mount the USB storage devices on a local Linux host in a pinch, if worst comes to worst. (Yeah, I'm a UNIX guy.)

As for SetCPU, it seems to work for me. When I downclock the CPU, multiple apps (Elixir 2, OS Monitor, etc) register the frequency change, as does the Linux/Android kernel itself. Also, Cordy/Angry Birds/etc are a touch slower, and the battery lasts longer.

-Adam
  8. km75

km75 New Member

I just thought that once I disabled encryption then all my files would become readable again. If it did that I would still use it. But I am definitely going to give he setcpu a try

9. alynch

alynch New Member

Well, in theory, you could be able to... I haven't played with Moto's implementation with eCryptfs much yet to know for sure, either way. I'm doing that now. Hooray for root!

-Adam
  10. km75

km75 New Member

I hear you on that! Lol. In the event you do find a way to make the encrypted data readable by a foreign system I would appreciate it if you would shed further light on the subject

Search tags for this page
android encryption battery drain
data encryption on droid
data encrytion what does do
does encryption on android use up battery

droid 3 encryption

droid bionic sd card pictures encrypted ecryptfs
droid encryption
droid x data encryption

droid x2 data encryption

droid x2 encryption