Should I enable Data Encryption?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I may activate Data Encryption (settings, location & security, data encryption) on my DX. Has anybody used this? Are there any side effects such as slower opening apps, or any data corruption? Do most DX users have this feature enabled or not?

Thanks

kevinkar

Reaction score
I didn't know it existed. Is there information about it in the Droid X manual?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What are you looking to encrypt?

If you only use Gmail then using Google's 2-step Verification lets remove access to contacts, emails, Google+, etc from any computer on the web.
https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount is where you go to turn it on and read more about it.

Not as secure as actually encrypting the entire phone as there would be a time period between losing the phone and the realization of the same but definitely a good thing to implement anyways.

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
If I ever lose my phone I will definetely change my FB, Gmail, Hotmail Ebay, Amazon, and other passwords. But what I am trying to protect is data stored on my phone, not gmail data. I have apps that store the data locally, some of it business related.

What I would like to know is, do many users encrypt the data on the phone using this feature? And if so, does it work well with no apparent side effects? (there is an option to encrypt phone data and/or SD card data)

I havent recvd 1 response of any user that is using this security feature, so I assume that it is no widely used, or maybe doesnt work well.

Thanks.

kevinkar

Reaction score
After your post this morning I looked around the Internet to see what I could find and the data out there on this feature is pretty sparse. This leads me to believe it's probably not worth the effort (there won't be a lot of help if you need it) and you should consider a third party software instead.

At least with a third party tool, you could likely install a PC version too and make sure you have a backup copy of your encrypted data which opens in a pinch. Otherwise, if the phone effs up and you can't decrypt your data, you're out of luck!

I recommend KeePass for passwords (and short items of information in the "notes" fields) because it works with your PC version and you can always open it there. There don't appear to be that many encrypted container apps (like TrueCrypt, for example) for Android either.

You theoretically could try it to see what it does and, if it's garbage, disable it or hard reset the phone in the worst-case scenario and report back here!

jonathon1289

Reaction score
From all accounts I have heard data encryption does not work if you are on the rooted .596 build. I have not tried to use the data encryption myself, as I am sure it is similar to programs for a computer; You gain 'security' by sacrificing speed.

The benefits of data encryption are easily gained by using secure passwords, and using an app such as Lookout that can track and remotely wipe your phone. Just my thoughts on it...

kevinkar

Reaction score
From all accounts I have heard data encryption does not work if you are on the rooted .596 build. I have not tried to use the data encryption myself, as I am sure it is similar to programs for a computer; You gain 'security' by sacrificing speed.
Yeah, I seem to find blurbs about how the Android will be software encryption rather than the hardware-based encryption of the Blackberry and iPhone. That will definitely slow down the phone.

It's best to not carry around any personal information you can't afford to lose and that's especially true on an easily lost/stolen cellphone.

Thus the need for encryption! I've used PGP for years on the PC and there's not much of that for Android unfortunately.

orthogonalitee

Reaction score
Do NOT enable Android data encryption

Having learned the hard way, I recommend that you do NOT enable the data encryption native to the Android OS and instead look for a third-party app for encryption needs.

I enabled the data encryption, and I didn't have any problems until it came time to decrypt my SD card so I could transfer files to another device. Despite turning the encryption off, the files on my SD card remained encrypted. After speaking with two Verizon tech support reps and two Motorola tech support reps, the answer they told me was that once the files are encrypted, they cannot be decrypted, and there's nothing they can do about it.

This is ridiculous--I cannot believe that they would provide an encryption feature that does not decrypt, and told the reps I spoke with as much. It's absurd, and it's extremely short-sighted software design.

My only option now is to upload my files from my phone to my Drop Box account, which is using a lot of data (thankfully I'm still on an unlimited data plan) and is taking a lot of time.

Once I've got my files transferred via my Drop Box, I'm looking for a good third-party app for encryption. Any suggestions?