Damaged Droid X???

Droid_Maz

Reaction score
It is hard to figure out if the rooting is whats messing up the phone or water damage...
Yesterday, my dad dropped his phone in a puddle and without realizing it until about 10 minutes later when he got out of the store, he picked it up to find out it was water logged. i told him I'd give an attempt to fix it but he goes out to buy a brand new one. I opened the phone up, dried out the battery, circuits, LCD, digitizer, everything you name it, I've dried it, I also reassembled the phone and did the age old "rice trick" over night to aid with the dry out. This morning, I turned the phone on, and being the rooted phone that it is, it goes to the bootloader menu. I figured I've fixed it and will do a hard reset when I get home, so I put it on charge knowing the batteries life is drained. Keep in mind, I've made sure EVERYTHING was dry before doing this, charger port, battery, battery slot, inside, everything. When I get home, I turn it on and find the rom logo in which my dad used pop up, I think this is normal, so I wait, about 10-15 seconds later, the phone shuts off. If I keep the battery in, it will turn on every 30 seconds about and for about that 10-15 seconds, then turn off.
HARD RESET DOES NOT WORK.....

Someone help diagnose my phone, I'll give more details if needed about it, I can't seem to figure out the problem.. If you believe it's the rom, how can I fix it?

cmac

Reaction score
same thing except mine goes into bootloader screen and stays there.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is hard to figure out if the rooting is whats messing up the phone or water damage...
Yesterday, my dad dropped his phone in a puddle and without realizing it until about 10 minutes later when he got out of the store, he picked it up to find out it was water logged. i told him I'd give an attempt to fix it but he goes out to buy a brand new one. I opened the phone up, dried out the battery, circuits, LCD, digitizer, everything you name it, I've dried it, I also reassembled the phone and did the age old "rice trick" over night to aid with the dry out. This morning, I turned the phone on, and being the rooted phone that it is, it goes to the bootloader menu. I figured I've fixed it and will do a hard reset when I get home, so I put it on charge knowing the batteries life is drained. Keep in mind, I've made sure EVERYTHING was dry before doing this, charger port, battery, battery slot, inside, everything. When I get home, I turn it on and find the rom logo in which my dad used pop up, I think this is normal, so I wait, about 10-15 seconds later, the phone shuts off. If I keep the battery in, it will turn on every 30 seconds about and for about that 10-15 seconds, then turn off.
HARD RESET DOES NOT WORK.....

Someone help diagnose my phone, I'll give more details if needed about it, I can't seem to figure out the problem.. If you believe it's the rom, how can I fix it?

I'm not going to say that I'm 100% certain it's water damage, I feel more then likely it is. You see, that thing about the rice is a myth. It really doesn't do anything to dry out the phone.

Doesn't mean either that the phone wasn't dried out. Not powering it on overnight was a good thing to do. But if it was on and in a puddle for some time then that makes me think more then likely it's water damage.

Do you see the watermarks on the phone? Do they look like water got to them?

OP
D

Droid_Maz

Reaction score
[/quote]

I'm not going to say that I'm 100% certain it's water damage, I feel more then likely it is. You see, that thing about the rice is a myth. It really doesn't do anything to dry out the phone.

Doesn't mean either that the phone wasn't dried out. Not powering it on overnight was a good thing to do. But if it was on and in a puddle for some time then that makes me think more then likely it's water damage.

Do you see the watermarks on the phone? Do they look like water got to them?[/QUOTE]

The water damage indicators show there was obviously water in the phone, but the phone itself has no cosmetic damage, I didn't see much water damage when I opened up my phone neither. When the phone turned on, the screen was crystal clear also, so, I'm not sure about it. I always thought rice helps absorb water from around the phone as it comes out, seeing as though it naturally absorbs moisture.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This doesn't help much at this point but we do have in our faq section the proper way to dry out a droid instructions. Of course no one ever looks at it until after something happens.

If it isn't water damage then you can try to sbf to stock to see if that works. Look in the stickies in the X hacking section to see if you can find some instructions.

OP
D

Droid_Maz

Reaction score
This doesn't help much at this point but we do have in our faq section the proper way to dry out a droid instructions. Of course no one ever looks at it until after something happens.

If it isn't water damage then you can try to sbf to stock to see if that works. Look in the stickies in the X hacking section to see if you can find some instructions.
I'll check them and see what I can do, thanks