D3 - Unlocked bootloader or not...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let's get to the important questions, we all heard Motorola's claims to unlock bootloaders on future devices

Well the D3 is a future device, so what are your thoughts on it being locked/unlocked ?

Raptor007

Reaction score
I too want an unlocked Bootloader and Moto should get off the pot already and just do it. They keep saying Q3, Q3 and my concern is whose Q3 are they talking about. Calender, Verizon or Moto's? Hopefully this means all phones will go unlocked, once would think not having a locked bootloader would make things easier.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would definitely make my decision easier - and there is a huge difference in shipping with an unlocked bootloader and "to be unlocked" - the last just seems like an unreal reality

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe just maybe to keep the awesomeness of the original droid alive, they will go back to an unlocked bootloader. This is my dream, I would buy on in a second, if this was the case.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sticking to my stance of, there is no chance it will be unlocked, that way if it is I will be so pleasantly surprised I will have to run out and finally upgrade from my D1.

speachey

Reaction score
One question that I have always wondered...How do you know if a phone has an unlocked bootloader when you get it? Is there something that you can do to see if a phone has an unlocked bootloader?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am sticking to my stance of, there is no chance it will be unlocked, that way if it is I will be so pleasantly surprised I will have to run out and finally upgrade from my D1.
a dev by the name of woody confirmed the bootloader is unlockable just like the xoom

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
a dev by the name of woody confirmed the bootloader is unlockable just like the xoom

well I guess I know what I am doing tonight haha. I trust woody but I want to see a bit more confirmation before I run out.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
yes I have confirmation, but it may not be unlocked for everyone from the beginning, may come in an update, but regardless of how it is tomorrow when we all find out, don't trust anything you see on the moto support forums. I've personally called and talked to 3 different agents from moto and 4 from VZW today all saying mixed things about the bootloader and the most common was that they DON'T have confirmation one way or the other on the condition of the bootloader.

so if your waiting for an unlocked bootloader wait to be sure rather than having to send it back and deal with the hassle, if you don't care one way or another or are confident in the development community then go ahead and buy the device.

You can call them now and ask how to/if the xoom is unlockable and 90% of the time they wont know what your talking and will transfer you 5 times before you get some idiot whos a jacka** and says no we don't support unlocked bootloaders, when in fact the xoom does support it, my best guess is the bootloader will be just like the xoom.

we will know soon enough, my order says i'll have delivery by noon tomorrow, and that will be the first thing i check, not even going to activate until i play around some first.

Last edited:

wuwtk

Reaction score
I really hope you are right. My droid 2 died on me last week and I was due for an upgrade, so I just ordered this and would love to have some unlocked goodness.

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Sorry for asking a dumb question.. but does the D3 having a locked bootloader mean that it cannot be rooted?