Custom ROM yes or no?

jnasmith

Reaction score
Been using my DX basically "off the shelf" for about 9 months now & been relatively happy. Lately it seems to get laggy and I'm getting more force closes and battery pulls and my battery life seems worse. So I'm debating a custom ROM (this is the only phone I've kept "clean" so I'm not a total newbie).

Any suggestions on what ROM makes the most sense? My priorities are:

- speed (overclocking)
- battery life
- exchange sync (prefer a better mail app - not touchdown - that lets me adjust incoming mail size)
- doubletwist w/ air sync

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Fender890

Reaction score
If your looking to speed up your phone, a custom rom will defiantly help. If you use the HDMI out a lot use "Apex". If not, I would go with Liberty.

OP
J

jnasmith

Reaction score
I went with Apex 1.4.1. The flash was easy (after z4root took 10 min to root the phone) and it feels much more responsive and has better battery life so far today.

jugglingj0hn

Reaction score
I went with Apex 1.4.1. The flash was easy (after z4root took 10 min to root the phone) and it feels much more responsive and has better battery life so far today.

I am in a similar situation as your intial post. I really would like to know how your exchange syncing is...currently I seem to have occasional mail pushing issues where my mail comes 5-10 minutes after it shows up in my outlook on my PC.

How is the email with your rom? better/worse/same?

OP
J

jnasmith

Reaction score
With Apex 1.4.1 and the AOSP mail app I have zero sync problems.

That said, I miss the features of the blur app. There is no search option, its plain text only, and no signatures added to replies...

But the Apex feels much faster overall than the stock rom and the mail app is clean and snappy.

rustymcbain

Reaction score
If im not mistaken you can switch the app with the blur one from fab's tool box. Someone chime in if im wrong please.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
J

jnasmith

Reaction score
Yep that's correct... but in my case, I switched to stock because the blur app doesn't sync well with zimbra. So now I can sync great but lack the nicer blur mail features. If there's another rom out there that has a custom version of the AOSP mail with search, etc., I'd love to hear about it...

SyNiK4L

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure u could pull the app from the stock rom or another. And just install it. Just open the install zip on ur computer. And look in data/app/ or system/app/
Copy it to ur sdcard and install

That is if u can find another u like. Then u could still run and rom u want to and have ud better email app

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I love Rubix 2.0.1 Such a good rom. EXTREMELY stable and by extremely, i mean its never crashed on me.