Corning to introduce Gorilla Glass on cars!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
976e0498e1878cb1a0b24741f53d1aed.jpg

Corning, the maker of glass screens for Samsung and other Android phones, is working to introduce its glass technology in production vehicles in the coming years.

Corning to introduce Gorilla Glass on cars - Car Body Design

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Lovely. I can't wait until I drive over a pothole and the windshield cracks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
976e0498e1878cb1a0b24741f53d1aed.jpg

Corning, the maker of glass screens for Samsung and other Android phones, is working to introduce its glass technology in production vehicles in the coming years.

Corning to introduce Gorilla Glass on cars - Car Body Design

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I've seen similar videos from Corning but not showing the auto windshield. Quite impressive. However, I own the Droid Turbo 2 as many others and although the outer surface of my phone display is a plastic laminate, at least one the inner layers is glass and yet it's virtually unbreakable.

For those who may not be aware, the Droid Turbo 2 withstood a drop from over 900 feet onto asphalt without shattering. The Turbo 2 didn't use Gorilla Glass, a stark departure from all previous Motorola Android phones. Instead they went with a very highly engineered laminate glass and plastic combination that at least as far as I've seen withstand far more than any Gorilla Glass demonstration has been shown to withstand.

I wonder if this same technology couldn't actuality yield even better results for other applications than what Gorilla Glass does.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
One thing I can't understand is, gorilla glass can't flex, so it will break when the frame flexes. And it flexes a lot when you're driving.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One thing I can't understand is, gorilla glass can't flex, so it will break when the frame flexes. And it flexes a lot when you're driving.
I think the following video (skip to 4:15), proves otherwise. In this video the Gorilla Glass 4 is compared to the Apple Sapphire glass in scratch and bend tests. The tests are not very scientific however the bend test is indisputable.

Here's a more scientific comparison of the same two glass samples, and this shows that while it takes more force to break Sapphire Glass, the Gorilla Glass withstood far more flex without breaking, making it much better suited to flexing due to impact our deformation without failure. The bend tests start at 1:00.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just to add to the intrigue here's a video showing a new glass from Corning, the makers of Gorilla Glass. This glass is called Willow Glass and not only is it extremely strong, but it's also extremely flexible and so, extremely forgiving. is a long video, over 9 minutes, but you want to skip to the bend test, jump to 6:50.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Just to add to the intrigue here's a video showing a new glass from Corning, the makers of Gorilla Glass. This glass is called Willow Glass and not only is it extremely strong, but it's also extremely flexible and so, extremely forgiving. is a long video, over 9 minutes, but you want to skip to the bend test, jump to 6:50.

Just saw this..wow...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk