confused by red x icon

bellajack

Reaction score
Hi All

I just bought a copy Samsung Galaxy S4 in Bangkok and am having a couple of (what I hope are) teething problems with it.

I have had a little red x with the number 1 appear next to the battery symbol in the top right of the home screen. Can anyone tell me what that means?

It, i.e. the phone, is also failing to read the memory from the 32GB micro SD card I inserted. It does get recognised by my laptop when I connect the phone via USB, but it reads it as a separate drive altogether.

Any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you pull the notification bar down does it show up?

As it is a copy of the s4, it may not even have the same features as a real s4.

OP
B

bellajack

Reaction score
No, when I pull the notification bar down it doesn't rate a mention. Then again neither does the wireless or the bluetooth which are the symbols immediately on the little red x's left

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
That's in the place where your data bar should be (signaling 4g, 3g, 1x etc.)

If you turn wifi off, do you have an internet connection? Or does the red X go away when wifi is off? I know on my phone when I have Wifi on, my data bar turns grey. Maybe that's just the way your phone signals data is not connected since Wifi is on.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Since you said it was a "copy" s4 maybe that's part of the software in their version? That symbol doesn't show up on my phone when on wifi and i skimmed the manual and didn't see anything like it.

What version of android are you on?

OP
B

bellajack

Reaction score
Thanks All, that explains the red x - the 3G won't be working as I haven't got a local sim in it at the moment and am using my old Google Nexus as my phone.

Re Android, I am on 4.2.2.

Any suggestions as to the phone accessing and/or recognising the sd card, any help will be greatly received!

Cheers