Want to root, but confused :-(

Neko

Reaction score
I am hearing about this thing called "wireless tethering" I dont know what it is. But I hear you need to be rooted.

My Droid X is less then a month old and I dont want to brick it, with being a female I'm not up to par with all this rooting stuff. But am interested in knowing what this "wireless tethering" is and how to root my phone to tether.

I use PdaNet to get on the internet right now, I have NO cable or DSL in my area, I have only one good hotspot in my living room where I can place my phone and have been sitting on the floor with my laptop and I hate it!

What can I do to get started or maybe read some more about getting rooted. And getting wireless tether :)

Do I have to have Wifi? I dont have anything like that.

dxgeek35

Reaction score
The wireless teather is a app that makes you phone a wifi hotspot so you can put your phone in the one good area in you house and then use it anywhere(but its better the closer you are to the phone)

But rooting gives you the privilege of superuser which will let you use root apps, I used z4root and it is the easiest way I have found so far.

And you don't need wifi you can use 3g

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

HayWire

Reaction score
Just usez4root its one click root..

joker402

Reaction score
The wireless teather is a app that makes you phone a wifi hotspot so you can put your phone in the one good area in you house and then use it anywhere(but its better the closer you are to the phone)

But rooting gives you the privilege of superuser which will let you use root apps, I used z4root and it is the easiest way I have found so far.

And you don't need wifi you can use 3g

dancedroidFTW!

Xerrus

Reaction score
When I first got my Droid X I put this thing on a pedestal and straight refused to root due to fear of "bricking" it also, luckily I read and researched enough to the point where I don't know why I waited so long.

Like you, by the sounds of it, I live out in the boonies and no cable or DSL comes down my road. I used PDAnet as soon as I got my phone to tether to my computer and surf the net. Eventually I got tired of doing this though and read all about the glories of rooting and the wireless tethering options.

I can say, after having spent countless hours researching and agonizing over whether or not to root and use all those excellent apps that aren't accessible otherwise, that you need to not go through what I did. Just do it, afterward you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it day 1. The worries of "bricking" your device are a thing of the past. Developers nowadays know how to circumvent any of those complications when creating rooting programs.

Hands down the best and easiest way to root is z4root. I'm not sure if it's on the market anymore though. It may have been pulled. You may have to google "z4root apk" and download it onto your phone manually.

After that it's a one-click process to root your phone. And should you ever need to take your phone to Verizon for service, you need only press another button to un-root it! Simple! I can advice a few programs that will help you to back up your phone should you want to go further in customizing it eventually also.

To wrap up, after you finish the z4rooting process (I believe your phone will restart, I actually had to press the root button twice to get it to take after the first reboot) and the next time you open z4root you'll know you're rooted because instead of only having one option (Root Device) you'll have the option to un-root now, thus signaling you're officially rooted. From there go to the market, download Wireless Tether. Boot up wireless tether, a popup will happen and ask you if you want to allow Wireless Tether superruser access, click yes. This is your new rooted phone confirming with you that a program has requested access to the inner workings of the phone and you're either allowing it or not. After that you shouldn't have that popup for that specific program again, your phone will remember that you allowed that it access.

Now you're ready to tether! If you have any questions or concerns on the matter or need more info feel free to PM me! I'm happy to help because I've been there before and know what it's like!

Sent from my DROID X

dxgeek35

Reaction score
Just to make it clear every time you said popular you meant pop-up, right?

Xerrus

Reaction score
Just to make it clear every time you said popular you meant pop-up, right?

Yes, going through and editing now >.<

Sent from my DROID X

OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
Thanks for the all the info.

z4root make it all so simple I could slap myself! Got the tether thing down for now, I'll have to see how that works.

How to you put a so called "rom" on my phone????

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you flash ROMs using bootstrap, there is a good guide in my signature

dxgeek35

Reaction score
If you want to flash a rom you should use the Droid x bootstraper app. But make sure you do your homework first so you don't get into a bootloop. I would help you more but idk the "how to" because I just kinda wing it because I want to find the limits of the dx. Oh btw liberty is the best rom I found so far!

David_D

Reaction score
Z4root really easy

[video=youtube;ymdVLL1ioUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdVLL1ioUc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Xerrus

Reaction score
Easiest way to put a new rom on your phone is with Droid X Bootstrapper. Pretty sure it costs $.99 but it's necessary to make it easy and painless! Also you will want to download Titanium Backup, this app will allow you to back up all the apps you've downloaded thus far in the market, just as they are on your phone right now.

To make a backup of your apps open titanium, allow it root access when the pop-up happens. Click the backup / restore tab in the top middle. From there you'll see a list of all the apps on your phone. Press the menu button on your phone, select Batch. You'll now see a list of batch operations. Click Run on the one that says Back up all User Apps. Wait for the process to run and bam! You're done safeguarding all your apps and their data.

When the time comes to flash a rom you'll download the file of the rom you want from a forum or the rom's website. Open Droid X Bootstrapper, the press Bootstrap Recovery, wait for the superruser permissions thing to pop up, say yes, allow, then the program will say Success! Press okay and then click Reboot Recovery. This will reboot your phone into recovery mode (Make sure you've backed up your user applications before doing this!).

Now that you're in recovery mode you'll want to make a backup of your current system before flashing a new rom, this is called a Nandroid backup. To create it go to backup/restore (use your volume rockers to navigate and your camera button to select) and select back up current system. Let the process run, it can take around 5 mins, sometimes longer. From here you're safe to follow the instructions the rom developer gives. Usually they'll ask you to do a factory reset/data wipe or a format data/cache. Each rom can be different, but their instructions should be simple enough from this point!

Some Rom recommendations:
-Rubix 1.9.7 (I think this is the newest version? )
-Liberty 1.5 (battery life can be a little shaky from what I've experienced thus far but excellent rom)
-Gummyjar Rom (not sure what current version is)

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me!

Sent from my DROID X