Close to bying a Milestone

ClausG76

Reaction score
Hello
I have been thinking about upgrading from my HTC Hero to a Milestone for a while. I would like to have a phone with a better performance. I want a bigger screen and i just love to surfe the internet and play games/emulators on my mobile. I think the droid looks like it would serve my needs. But it isn't availeble in my contry, so i can't check it out before buying one.
I have seen some performance comparisons between the nexus and the droid, but isn't convinced that the nexus, is as much better as stated. Some of benchmarks where compared with jit eabled on Nexus and it only seems to be doing difrences in a benchmark test. And also there seems to be a bottleneck with the 3d performance on the nexus as the polygons performance is slightly higher on the nexus, but the fillrate is 3 times as powerfull on the droid.
I want a mobile that wouldn't feel to old to quick if you know what i meen. Since there is showing up apps that is to heavy for my Hero.

OP
C

ClausG76

Reaction score
And also
I have seen a lot of custom roms for the droid, can i use them on a milestone. (GSM net/3g)

m0zzie

Reaction score
And also
I have seen a lot of custom roms for the droid, can i use them on a milestone. (GSM net/3g)
Unfortunately not. Motorola has chosen to lock down the Milestone with heavy security that Google made them disable on the Droid.

For a good overview of what's going on, check Motorola's official FB page: Custom ROMS and Motorola's Android handsets | Facebook

I wish I could tell you to buy a Milestone, but I'm someone who likes to make things run faster and install custom ROMs - and I honestly regret buying mine. I wish I'd waited for the Nexus One.

Forget Motorola :(

jeanlery2010

Reaction score
I believe Nexus One is much better than the droid. Maybe it can fits the Motorola milestone and will be compatible to it. But as you've said, Motorola has been already locked with specific security and now unable to connect to droid.

averma1

Reaction score
I was waiting for the x10 for a long time (had an htc magic sith sense just before) and while both the hero and magic are great phones, and I'm sure the x10 will be good when it comes out. I have to say I have no regrets with the milestone, granted I put some time into rooting the telus one. But with home++ the home screens are no longer choppy and I fixed the scrolling issue with the 2.0.1 browser (the two only real issues with the software).

Personally I also compared them side by side and the nexus is incredebly cheap looking next to the droid or even tbhe hero IMO. It resembles the htc touch and other cheaper phones than it really does a high end divice. The droid feels more expensive and more sturdy as well. Speed wise I didn't really notice much difference, benchmarks will tell you the nexus is faster but I've seen head to heads where the droid was quicker to launch apps, and realistically both phones can easily handle anything you throw at them and are quite a speed bost over the hero (especially in games, and the full keyboard owns for gaming) also if your looking for any games make sure vyou consider the nexus ones multitouch gets confused very easily, so even with on screen controls the droid would be the better choise forgames.

These are just my experiences and for the way I use my phone (games, movies, remote desktop, email, gtalk) the droid has yet to let me down (though the batterys getting kind of close lol)

averma1

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention nexus one touch buttons are a pain in the a$$. The droids work beautifully. And web browsing can't be beat when your keyboard doesn't block 1/2 the screen. Plus I've read some reviews and seen it personally the snap dragon really doesn't do as much as you think it does, android can't use it properly. Its may one day and the nexus is a bit more future proof than the droid because of it but by that time your going to be looking for your next phone anyways and for right now the droid is the best on the market

My opinion buy the droid or wait for something bettger than the n1 like the x10 or desire (though desire may have the same screen issue as the n1) or wait even longer and see what comes next

Ps. Just wanted to add that I finally beat Megaman X for snesoid, awesome game ! And it ran full screen with sound and transparencies turned on at 100% speed and I beat it using my hardware keypad. Now its onto quake 2 ;)

OP
C

ClausG76

Reaction score
Thanks
I Also found the threads about the locked Milestone. Even though i use custom roms on my Hero i might not need it on the Milestone. And i guess since it is rooted (SU) i can use marked enabler for my pais apps,l which is the main reason for root. I was also looking at the nokia n900, but i am getting used to android and i realy like it. Maybe the overclocking on the Droid is overrated since it runs all the programs at max.
Thanks again

OP
C

ClausG76

Reaction score
Sad I thought i saw somewhere, that it could. Then i would stick with the older firmware. Apps2sd and Marked enabler is more important.

averma1: what do you think about the pad, especially for diagonal controls.

averma1

Reaction score
Sad I thought i saw somewhere, that it could. Then i would stick with the older firmware. Apps2sd and Marked enabler is more important.

averma1: what do you think about the pad, especially for diagonal controls.

the pad isn't bad but isn't ideal either. its on the wrong side and its kind of squishy, basically it just takes some getting used to like anything else, but just don't expect an arcade like experience, its still a phone after all.

corners dont really exist lol, their awkward to push and don't really respond that well so don't expect to win any street fighter matches or anything.

that being said i havent had any issues with side scrollers (mario/sonic/megaman etc), racing games (mario cart), or FPS's (quake 2)

and theirs always the onscreen controls for the few games that might need more "corner precision"

As for the 2.1 firmware i don't really know what everyones getting so excited about, the album, home screen, live wallpapers, music app have all been ported to 2.0.1 and really their not that great. the home screen doesn't have landscape (which is why the official droid 2.1 won't have it installed) live wallpapers are a gimick, music app still sucks (lookup rockon on the market and download the player called "3" its WAAAAY better) and the ported album works fine (i'll admit the album is something to get excited about :D )

all the emulators i've loaded so far run perfectly with no slowdown and keyboard controls make it feel like your using a nintendo DS or a PSP go.

averma1

Reaction score
i should also mention their are 2 versions of the droid keyboard a "raised" and a "flat one"

i have the raised one and love it, others that have the flat one don't really seem to like it that much or they just find it takes longer to get used to. in either case a good onscreen keyboard (like the ported HTC one) solves the problem. for gaming i cant really say anything cuz i haven't used the other one but i imagine its not as good though still better than touch controls

look here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/25673-your-droid-physical-keyboard.html