clean install

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I would guess you wiped system and then either didn't install something to it, or something went wrong with the file you tried to install. I actually haven't seen this problem before, but I would imagine this would be how that happens as if you wipe system, and try to boot into it....you wouldn't have an OS.

Can you get into the bootloader (volume up + volume down + power while powering device on)? If yes, use the volume keys to scroll to recovery, and use power to select. Try flashing your ROM again.

It could be that your ROM is borked in some way, perhaps try downloading it again (verifying that it is for your device and specific version of your device too, as there are 3 galaxy nexus' toro = VZW, maguro = GSM, toroplus (or torospr) = Sprint). Or download a different ROM and gapps if necessary.

If your recovery is stock, or not working and you can get into fastboot, you can use fastboot to reflash recovery (in your unlock/root process you did this).

Alternatively, you can flash a stock image via fastboot or Odin (if available for your specific device that is). This would mean you would have to reroot...etc but theoretically it should be able to solve your problem.

I can help you through any of those options if need be, or go into more detail. E2A: I have never used Odin, so I probably would be useless there, but I am sure it is pretty well documented around the interwebs by now (as many other devices do use it quite a bit).

michael305

Reaction score
To clean install a ROM you're suppose wipe cache, wipe davlik, wipe data/factory reset. Should you also format system? Anything else?

I think this is what I want to accomplish?? First time I am hacking into my phone. Been doing a lot of searching today. Not sure what the right words are, but I want to take a ROM and make it my only boot option on my phone...I tried the Icarus 2.7.4 and I like it, and it runs GREAT....I have found a few things, but not quite sure if it was talking about what I wanted to do or not...so maybe a little clarity on what this is called and where to go...thanks!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I think this is what I want to accomplish?? First time I am hacking into my phone. Been doing a lot of searching today. Not sure what the right words are, but I want to take a ROM and make it my only boot option on my phone...I tried the Icarus 2.7.4 and I like it, and it runs GREAT....I have found a few things, but not quite sure if it was talking about what I wanted to do or not...so maybe a little clarity on what this is called and where to go...thanks!

In your profile, it says you have a Bionic. Is that correct? If so, the method on how to do things may be a bit different than with the Nexus. That said, the ROM devs more than likely have a set of directions in the forum post with the ROM download.

michael305

Reaction score
In your profile, it says you have a Bionic. Is that correct? If so, the method on how to do things may be a bit different than with the Nexus. That said, the ROM devs more than likely have a set of directions in the forum post with the ROM download.

Yes I do have the Bionic. Unfortunately the set of instructions for this particular rom (I am in no way dead set to use this particular rom) but of the couple I tried, this one worked, but its instructions are for safestrapping it...which is a dual boot. I just want the single boot. I *think* what I want to do is bootstrap it? or maybe the RSDlite program... I did attempt to run the .zip rom file, and I got some kind of an error, like I wasn't using the right kind of file...or something was missing...

I am completely open for suggestions on what to use, Im just tired of my phone not working well, and want to make it better :)

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't tell you how to install it as I have zero knowledge of bootstrapping or safestrapping outside of a general idea of how they work. This section is for Galaxy Nexus users, so unfortunately, I would have to do some reading to figure how to do things with the Bionic. With the GN, we don't have bootmenus, bootstrapping, safestrapping, or have access to RSDLite (although I am familiar with it from my previous device the OG Droid).

My suggestion to you would be for you to do some research. It is not a good idea to go into this trying to figure it out as you go. That could end with a potentially expensive and time wasting experience. There is tons of information out there in videos, wikis, and forums.