clean install

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by trink08, Jul 29, 2012.

1. trink08

trink08 New Member

To clean install a ROM you're suppose wipe cache, wipe davlik, wipe data/factory reset. Should you also format system? Anything else?
  2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You can format system, but technically you don't need to since the rest should take care of it for you. Typically I do the reset, format system, and then flash my files.
  3. trink08

trink08 New Member

Thank you
  4. JSM9872

No problem!! If you have any more questions let me know and I will do my best to help out.
  5. trink08

trink08 New Member

Nice. I just posted a question about titanium backup. When I restore my apps and settings after a wipe and ROM flash, I have to manually install half my apps before it starts auto installing the rest. Any idea how to get it to auto install all of my apps and settings?
  6. JSM9872

Are you just doing user apps or system ones as well? Also, how many apps we talking here? I always use it to restore my user apps, around 40 or so, and have never had to do that.
  7. trink08

trink08 New Member

Between user apps and system data its about 150. After I've manually installed about 70 then it starts auto installing.
  8. JSM9872

Well on a related note, it is not typically the best idea to restore system apps. It is known to cause issues with the ROM, etc. And I wonder if it has something to do with you restoring so many. Did you ever cancel the market downloads and then go back in to restore the rest with TIBU?
  9. trink08

trink08 New Member

The downloads are all through titanium. I restore the system data because I believe that gets my home screens sorted they way they previously were. Are u saying I shouldn't do this?
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Most definitely do not restore system data. For the most part, this is the main reason for wiping, to clear out system data between ROMs. The reason being is that some big changes can occur between different ROMs, even different builds of the same ROM. There are some things you can backup and restore perhaps without issue, but as a general rule of thumb restoration of system data between ROMs is not a good idea.

If you want to backup and restore your homescreens, you can use a custom launcher (Apex launcher, Nova Launcher, Holo Launcher, and many others are out there), they often come with the ability to make a backup of it's setup. So that when you reinstall them on your new ROM, you can just restore and it restores all your preferences and screen setups that you have backed up from a previous ROM. The stock launcher doesn't have this option.
  11. JSM9872

Sorry, went to work. Cupfulloflol answered the question pretty thoroughly, just wanted you to know I was not ignoring you :)
  12. trink08

trink08 New Member

Its all good. Thank you. And thank you cupfulloflol
  13. JSM9872

No problem!
  14. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

No problem. Glad I could help.
  15. tcmotu

tcmotu New Member

No OS Installed

I was updating my GN from 4.1 to 4.1.1 using TWRP but did something wrong I guess because I got the message: Cannot reboot ... no OS installed.

All I get is 'Google' and the unlocked padlock when I turn it on or turn it on with volume up and on button. With volume down and the on button I get 'Odin mode' in read top left and 'Start' in an arrow pointing to the on button. That takes me to 'Google' and the unlocked padlock.

Plugged in to my PC via USB the computer recognises a Samsung MTP device but it doesn't show under My Computer ...

Any suggestions?
  16. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I would guess you wiped system and then either didn't install something to it, or something went wrong with the file you tried to install. I actually haven't seen this problem before, but I would imagine this would be how that happens as if you wipe system, and try to boot into it....you wouldn't have an OS.

Can you get into the bootloader (volume up + volume down + power while powering device on)? If yes, use the volume keys to scroll to recovery, and use power to select. Try flashing your ROM again.

It could be that your ROM is borked in some way, perhaps try downloading it again (verifying that it is for your device and specific version of your device too, as there are 3 galaxy nexus' toro = VZW, maguro = GSM, toroplus (or torospr) = Sprint). Or download a different ROM and gapps if necessary.

If your recovery is stock, or not working and you can get into fastboot, you can use fastboot to reflash recovery (in your unlock/root process you did this).

Alternatively, you can flash a stock image via fastboot or Odin (if available for your specific device that is). This would mean you would have to reroot...etc but theoretically it should be able to solve your problem.

I can help you through any of those options if need be, or go into more detail. E2A: I have never used Odin, so I probably would be useless there, but I am sure it is pretty well documented around the interwebs by now (as many other devices do use it quite a bit).
  17. michael305

michael305 New Member

I think this is what I want to accomplish?? First time I am hacking into my phone. Been doing a lot of searching today. Not sure what the right words are, but I want to take a ROM and make it my only boot option on my phone...I tried the Icarus 2.7.4 and I like it, and it runs GREAT....I have found a few things, but not quite sure if it was talking about what I wanted to do or not...so maybe a little clarity on what this is called and where to go...thanks!
  18. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

In your profile, it says you have a Bionic. Is that correct? If so, the method on how to do things may be a bit different than with the Nexus. That said, the ROM devs more than likely have a set of directions in the forum post with the ROM download.
  19. michael305

michael305 New Member

Yes I do have the Bionic. Unfortunately the set of instructions for this particular rom (I am in no way dead set to use this particular rom) but of the couple I tried, this one worked, but its instructions are for safestrapping it...which is a dual boot. I just want the single boot. I *think* what I want to do is bootstrap it? or maybe the RSDlite program... I did attempt to run the .zip rom file, and I got some kind of an error, like I wasn't using the right kind of file...or something was missing...

I am completely open for suggestions on what to use, Im just tired of my phone not working well, and want to make it better :)

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!
  20. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I honestly couldn't tell you how to install it as I have zero knowledge of bootstrapping or safestrapping outside of a general idea of how they work. This section is for Galaxy Nexus users, so unfortunately, I would have to do some reading to figure how to do things with the Bionic. With the GN, we don't have bootmenus, bootstrapping, safestrapping, or have access to RSDLite (although I am familiar with it from my previous device the OG Droid).

My suggestion to you would be for you to do some research. It is not a good idea to go into this trying to figure it out as you go. That could end with a potentially expensive and time wasting experience. There is tons of information out there in videos, wikis, and forums.
Search tags for this page
android clean install
clean android install

clean install android

clean install galaxy s3

clean install rom s3
galaxy nexus clean flash
galaxy s3 clean install

galaxy s3 no os installed

how to flash a s3 rom clean install
no os installed twrp

s3 clean install