Charm? Has it always been there?

dzone67

Reaction score
So I recently opened the settings and noticed the "Charm" option. I know what it is but I was never aware of it being there. Am I going crazy?

OP
dzone67

dzone67

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20120601_220728.png

Taco

Reaction score
It appeared out of nowhere on mine as well.

Sent From A Taco Bell Drive-Thru.

sp3ar2envi

Reaction score
I don't have it! How did it appear on yours?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
dzone67

dzone67

Reaction score
If I'm correct, it's an accessory in which you plug into your phone and gives a light show when you get a notification. I'm just wondering how it got there! I have no clue!

HowardZ

Reaction score
If you are suddenly finding apps or things installed on your phone which you did not install it might be caused by free apps which use "air push". This is far pushier than AdMob in that it can actually install software on your phone without your permission.

There is a free ap called "AirPush Detector" which will tell you if you have any apps with AirPush built into it.
Then one can uninstall those aps if one wishes to.

One can also go to their AirPush website and opt out by typing in special numbers found under the battery in your phone.

Personally, I think it best to uninstall any aps using AirPush and maybe the app developers will get the idea that their app will become far less popular and they'll earn less money by using AirPush.

Howard

OP
dzone67

dzone67

Reaction score
I think you're wrong. THINK. I know what you're talking about but I don't think they have the ability to add a new setting under the settings of the phone... I can't think of any other way to phrase it ha.

HowardZ

Reaction score
According to the airpush website, one of the things they sell advertisers is automatically placing ICONs on the desktop without the user's knowledge or consent.

I am not sure what these ICONs point to - newly installed applications? web pages?

Yes, I might be wrong, but people with new ICON's in the settings should run the airpush-detector because it is free to do this and it might be the cause of this mysterious "Charm".

Perhaps run an anti-virus and anti-spamware scan too?

ICONs should not be mysteriously showing up.

Howard

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think it best to uninstall any aps using AirPush and maybe the app developers will get the idea that their app will become far less popular and they'll earn less money by using AirPush.

Howard

Then just use paid apps. Developers need to make money somehow, even with free apps, and AirPush is a very developer friendly thing. They can make money with absolutely NO cost to them. And AirPush CANNOT install apps. It can:

a) display push ads in the notification area
b) display ads within apps, or
c) place a shortcut to a web/play store link on the desktop

Most developers use a or c, sometimes a combination. I would MUCH rather have these types of ads as opposed to on-screen ads while an app is running.

I love the way people EXPECT free apps, but also aren't willing to deal with tradeoffs to get these free apps.

If you still can't understand why Airpush is attractive to developers, read the following:

Airpush - Developers

HowardZ

Reaction score
Dave,

I buy apps, and I use free apps.

I write apps, some I sell, some are free with small AdMob ads on the bottom of the screen.

AirPush will ruin the entire Android Market -
It will drive people to Apple where such things are never permitted.
Google needs to eradicate it.
But this is not the topic nor purpose of this thread.

A Charm shortcut has shown up in the settings menu of some users - and it is probably the sign of malicious code.

There does exist a real app called "Charm", but the Op did not install it.