Charging Phone when phone is powered off

daca1001

Reaction score
Not sure if this an issue or a setting I don't have right on the phone. On any of my older android phones I could charge the phone while the phone was powered off. Not this phone. Every time I have the phone powered off and plug it into charge the phone starts up. Is there a way (setting) to charge the phone whiles it's powered off?

Thanks in advance.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Might be a Moto thing. The only Moto phone I ever owned was the Droid and that did it too. None of my other devices did that.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Can't say for sure since I don't own one (yet), but the instruction manual certainly leads me to believe that this model follows the same path as earlier ones where there is a charge-only mode that is activated when the phone is fully powered off (press and hold power button, release when prompted, select "Power off phone"), and then is attached to the wall charging adapter.

See the graphic below, specifically steps 2 and 3;

View attachment 66045

And this one showing the Charge-Only screen;

View attachment 66046

Go here for the full manual (https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/95513/p/30,6720,8882).

TatDroid

Reaction score
Might be a Moto thing. The only Moto phone I ever owned was the Droid and that did it too. None of my other devices did that.

My Motorola Droid Bionic has a "change mode" when off. (and I THOUGHT my OG Droid did, too - but maybe I'm not remembering that correctly).

turbodave

Reaction score
Not sure if this an issue or a setting I don't have right on the phone. On any of my older android phones I could charge the phone while the phone was powered off. Not this phone. Every time I have the phone powered off and plug it into charge the phone starts up. Is there a way (setting) to charge the phone whiles it's powered off?

Thanks in advance.

How soon after you shut it down did you ;lug in the charger? I have found on my Razr Maxx HD that if I plug the charger in too soon after shutting down that the phone will power back on. I have to wait about 30+ seconds after it has shut down to "charge only".

OP
D

daca1001

Reaction score
How soon after you shut it down did you ;lug in the charger? I have found on my Razr Maxx HD that if I plug the charger in too soon after shutting down that the phone will power back on. I have to wait about 30+ seconds after it has shut down to "charge only".

Sorry for getting back late with a reply. I just tried your solution and it did not work. I wonder if other MAXX users are seeing the same thing with their phone?

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
Sorry for getting back late with a reply. I just tried your solution and it did not work. I wonder if other MAXX users are seeing the same thing with their phone?

I never turn mine off. Up time is 459:48:45 and counting....

edon82

Reaction score
I just checked ....powered down plugged in the charger and mine charges without starting up...I left it alone for about 10mins and had to power it back on myself