Character Count in Texts

45matai

Reaction score
Is there any way to display the character count in text messages? Verizon only sends 160 right? and it won't send the rest of the text if its more... kinda frustrating.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah its 160 count but if it goes over it converts to an MMS message....they say its supposed to still send split in 2 messages but mine never have

kristoff125

Reaction score
Hancent tells you how many characters and it can also auto split the messages

thatguychuck

Reaction score
The stock messaging app will puts a window up when you get ten characters away and counts it down, then slips the message up. I try to keep it under 160 because I always had problems sending to Atnt folks.

ShowTime

Reaction score
The stock messaging app will give you a countdown when you get close to the 160 limit (I think it starts around 150 and counts down to 0 before letting you know it's moved to a 2nd text). And the phone is supposed to cut texts longer than 160 in to multiple texts and send them individually. Mine does it just fine, but delivers them out of order.

edit: dang beat me to my post thatguy

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent has an 'auto-split' setting. You can type over 160 and Handcent will automatically separate into 160 count character groupings and send as multiple SMS (or if 3 or more it converts to MMS). It's a great way to get around VZW's limit. Never have your messages cut off again!

Goofy Yno

Reaction score
only problem with Handcent is the spit can be anywhere. if it's alot loner then 160, fine, but sometimes I go a few letters over and the second text is "ng"

nerdbox08

Reaction score
only problem with Handcent is the spit can be anywhere. if it's alot loner then 160, fine, but sometimes I go a few letters over and the second text is "ng"

Yeah! Sometimes it bugs me, but oh well. I don't have to constantly watch for that magic number to come up, lol.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hancent tells you how many characters and it can also auto split the messages
Yup, haven't had a problem with it and therefore I don't have to worry about a counter.

I've seen them come in from others like that. I'm sure it's just a dumb application/program that looks for a number and breaks it up at that point. However, my friends are smart enough to be able to still read the message without a problem (otherwise, they'd probably be to idiotic to work a phone).

LordKaos

Reaction score
In my Froyo 2.2, the counter appears only after the first 130 characters, alerting the remaining for one message...after the 160 chars, the counter keeps indicating the left chars and the message segments (quantity).

At least for me, it´s very useful to know how many messages will be send.

See ya!

sniper6

Reaction score
Any idea when this 160 character BS started? I know it's always been 160 count and would just convert to mms if the message was big enough. Over the past month or so, anytime I recieve say a 500 character text, I get 4 individual messages. WTF??? Drives me insane! Any fixes or do we need to collectively complain to Verizon.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any idea when this 160 character BS started? I know it's always been 160 count and would just convert to mms if the message was big enough. Over the past month or so, anytime I recieve say a 500 character text, I get 4 individual messages. WTF??? Drives me insane! Any fixes or do we need to collectively complain to Verizon.

Its been the standard for texting since it came out. The inventor thought that 160 characters would be way more than enough to convey a thought.

CM74DX

sniper6

Reaction score
I understand that, however I have never had a problem sending or receiving a 500 to 700 character messages in one long message. They have not always come in short consecutive messages. Am I asking the wrong question?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums