Caution Brick Thrower

tiger9853

Reaction score
Someone is out there with an upgrade.zip file supposedly for froyo. Well it apears to brick your phone. I attempted to use it on my phone (not Knowing) Now I cant get past the motorola screen.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go into recovery. Wipe the data and clear the cache. You'll be fine. You get there the same way that you installed your update on your phone.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Someone is out there with an upgrade.zip file supposedly for froyo. Well it apears to brick your phone. I attempted to use it on my phone (not Knowing) Now I cant get past the motorola screen.

Who and where was the file?

Pull your battery, press and hold the X key while powering up. The phone should boot into the recovery (Clockwork/SPR/RZR). Restore your latest backup or re-install the last rom you put on your phone, or any rom that is still on your Sdcard.

HelpeRX

Reaction score
RE

If you have a unlocked bootloader is it even possible to brick your phone? I have a droid x and there is no way to brick it only if you install a file leaked update that can unlock it to update it, if that goes wrong then you are beeped.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The phone is not bricked unless you can't power it on at all. This is not a bricked phone, people misuse this terminology frequently.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hook's right. your phone isn't a 'brick'.

*DroidForums app DOES*

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
One time I did try to actually make a phone out of a brick but apparently people don't want a 12 pound phone in their pocket. Psssh bunch of babies.......

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One time I did try to actually make a phone out of a brick but apparently people don't want a 12 pound phone in their pocket. Psssh bunch of babies.......

Reallly? Could you root it and overclock it? You could use it for doing curls from time to time.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Reallly? Could you root it and overclock it? You could use it for doing curls from time to time.

Unfortunately the phone is as locked down as they come. I have long felt that if I create something it is pretty much perfect as is so there is no need to change anything....

But to stay on topic, I would say this isn't a case of a malicious file. I have thought about it before, to my knowledge (which is beyond limited) no one has tried to send out a bad file with the purpose of wreaking havoc. Besides I don't know if an update.zip could destroy all the necessary hardware to actually brick a phone.

OP
tiger9853

tiger9853

Reaction score
I did get it back up and running. The DL came from megaupload and it was suppose to be a froyo pack. I tried restoring through recovery but all by recovery files were deleted by this "update"

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App