Car USB adapter No Charge

Danthok

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has tried using a USB adapter in their car without success, it could be the adapter I bought.

The Droid will wake up when I plug it in but no charging happens.

epchris

Reaction score
I think I had this happen too, but I attributed it to my adapter being broken, but I know it used to work with my iphone.....strange.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I bought 3 adapters. 1 I put on my home wall charger, works fine. One I put on my cars charger, works fine. The 3rd Im using on a wall charger I have for work and I dont see it charging. Do I still get the charging icon if the battery is 100%?

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I have a universal charger that works fine with my Storm, iPod and my wifes Omnia. When I plug in the Droid it shows it's charging but doesn't actually charge it. It helps keep it alive but does not charge like it should.

I checked out the power supply the Droid comes with and it puts out 700ma whereas most chargers go to 500ma.

I think the Droid wants more power than some of these things put out.

OP
Danthok

Danthok

Reaction score
Well this USB adapter claims to be able to put out 5V at 2A, so power should not be the problem. It also charges my iPod no problem.

I sense a conspiracy to make me buy the Verizon branded charger.

lefos

Reaction score
wow

Just a heads up, most PC motherboards only consider giving 1amp out the REAR ports, and only one amp to all front ports, if you have two front ports, then each gets .5 amps. =) Also please note motorola has always had a "conspiracy" where you need to buy one of their authorized chargers/install pc drivers. That was there way of ensuring the right voltage/amps to your phone. Good luck charging!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought 3 adapters. 1 I put on my home wall charger, works fine. One I put on my cars charger, works fine. The 3rd Im using on a wall charger I have for work and I dont see it charging. Do I still get the charging icon if the battery is 100%?

No it will look like a full battery charge without the icon at 100%

pilot25

Reaction score
My new one doesn't charge with the car charger. The one I had yesterday did. What a shock :icon_cussing:

My BB charges fine with the same charger.

Motorola failed miserably rolling out this product.

dTardis

Reaction score
Yep I have the same problem. I think that it may have something to do with how the 'approved' chargers are wired. If you look at the forums for a DIY project called mintiboost they do some things to make their charger appear to the device. I dont know if that helps, but its my guess right now.

Prius

Reaction score
Try This

1. Plug the wallwart portion of the charger into the electric socket or cigarette lighter first.
2. Plug the micro-usb end of the cable into the droid
3. ONLY THEN plug the normal-usb end of the cable into the charger.

I bought a set of chargers, one home and one car that didnt think worked untill I stumbled on this. Reply back if this works for anyone else.

Xerozix

Reaction score
It seems that it needs reference voltages on the other 2 data pins, just like the Apple products.

I've been looking into the required voltages. Hopefully I can make a small USB thing that goes between the USB output and cable.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use the one from my BB everyday....Zero problems....

tommyz

Reaction score
It seems that it needs reference voltages on the other 2 data pins, just like the Apple products.

I've been looking into the required voltages. Hopefully I can make a small USB thing that goes between the USB output and cable.

I think you may be on to something. I a have a Cig Lighter adapter with a mini USB and it doesn't work with my droid and a Mini USB to Micro USB adapter.

I was also thinking it needed to see something on the other pins. I was also thinking maybe the car adapter portion of the mount is looking for a signal to start sending voltage.

These plugs have such small contacts, I can't get a volt meter probe on them to try to trace the problem.

jmg999

Reaction score
I bought my charger bundled w/ my Droid direct from Verizon. I tried plugging it in today, and the Droid didn't seem to recognize it at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

alphanode

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has tried using a USB adapter in their car without success, it could be the adapter I bought.
The Droid will wake up when I plug it in but no charging happens.

Yes! I was looking all over for this problem and thought I was just crazy. The interesting thing is when I plug/unplug or turn the car power on/off the screen will turn on and recognize that something has happend. Also, if I plug it in (while on) and then unplug it, the time since unpluged resets under the Settings->Battery Use. Even crazier is if I turn the phone completely off, the phone WILL charge.

I have a universal charger that works fine with my Storm, iPod a.... It helps keep it alive but does not charge like it should...the power supply the Droid comes with and it puts out 700ma whereas most chargers go to 500ma.

I think that may be part of it too given that my cigarette outlet will only charge my phone when it is off. BTW, does it actually show that it is charging (ie, the small light by the USB port turns on and it shows as charging in the status bar)?

Also, if it charges your iPod, is it a 3rd gen ipod? Suposedly those require a special charger as Xerozix mentioned

It seems that it needs reference voltages on the other 2 data pins, just like the Apple products... Hopefully I can make a small USB thing that goes between the USB output and cable.

There is an instructable here: Modify a generic USB car charger to charge a 3rd gen iPod Nano on how to modify a regular usb charger to charge devices like a 3rd gen ipod. Has anybody been brave enough to try this with the droid?