Car Dock Issues

ldavs

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been a satisfied Droid user for 1 1/2 years and yesterday I purchased a new Droid Bionic. So far the phone seems excellent in every way but one.

When I put the phone in the car dock nothing happens. My previous Droid would go into car dock mode and the screen would automatically rotate. This Droid does nothing. It wont charge or communicate the dock status. If I plug the car charger directly into the phone the port works fine. Whats up? Do I have a bad car dock ?

The other issue is that the phone screen auto rotates when in an application but when in the home screen it does not!

Help

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been a satisfied Droid user for 1 1/2 years and yesterday I purchased a new Droid Bionic. So far the phone seems excellent in every way but one.

When I put the phone in the car dock nothing happens. My previous Droid would go into car dock mode and the screen would automatically rotate. This Droid does nothing. It wont charge or communicate the dock status. If I plug the car charger directly into the phone the port works fine. Whats up? Do I have a bad car dock ?

The other issue is that the phone screen auto rotates when in an application but when in the home screen it does not!

Help

I've noticed both those issues as well. I'm not too bothered by the homescreen not auto-rotating anymore (is it even supposed to do that on this phone?) but the car dock is a problem for me. I'll go out to my car later today and try to retest everything... Maybe I didn't push it in far enough, or I had read something about the car dock has to be plugged in BEFORE you dock the phone. So I'll try these things out and re-post.

jkeithv

Reaction score
The dock does have to be plugged in and powered before you connect your phone to the dock. If you power the dock after the phone is connected, it will still charge the phone, but won't launch the dock menu.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mlazlo

Reaction score
When I first purchased car dock and started using it, sometimes the dock screen would start and sometimes it would not. What I found is that when the pattern lock requested your pattern to unlock, the dock app will not start. So I now check that the pattern is not required to unlock screen before I dock. The dock now works every time!

Arcstriker

Reaction score
I love the Car Dock on the Bionic, Coming from the Droid X (which I had to "modify" the dock to allow for the use of the Shell/Holster Combo), I must say this mount is slick, I don't have any "locks" on my phone, and never tried to dock it before turning the car on (powering the dock), but every time I put it and, and lock the top clip, the Car Dock App launches. The ONLY thing I would change is the lack of adjustments on the arm of the dock. The Dock for the X had like 3 adjustable joints, which would allow it to mount closer to the dash, this one has 1 adjustment, and stands a little high off the dash.

jthorpe

Reaction score
I haven't been impressed with the car dock or the app. First of all, you can't pass data through the car dock which was essential in my occupation. Second, the car dock app on the phone will read out every text message sent to you whether you want it to or not. So what I did was freeze the stock app and install the google car home app. All is good now except for the lack of data passthrough. I guess they thought it would be a good idea to pass through analog audio instead but if you get the car dock from Verizon, it doesn't come with everything you need to even take advantage of that "feature".

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
The car dock doesn't have to be plugged in. I thought this at first too. It does however have to be pushed down a little firmly. On launch day I must have taken it back into the store 5 times showing them it wasn't switching to the dock. Of course it worked for them when they did it in the store. I just notice pushing it down, and like Jthorpe said, sometimes plugging it will kick it in. Their is no magnet in this car dock.

solution

Reaction score
Hi,

Help

Do you have a case on your bionic? I have a standard silicone cover on mine and it has problems with the dock. The cover will not allow the phone to seat properly on the dock, which causes all kinds of funky things to happen. And it also gets in the way of the power button extender on the dock.

Shadez is right the phone has to be seated firmly, perfectly rather. There's Like zero leeway.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Do you have a case on your bionic? I have a standard silicone cover on mine and it has problems with the dock. The cover will not allow the phone to seat properly on the dock, which causes all kinds of funky things to happen. And it also gets in the way of the power button extender on the dock.

Shadez is right the phone has to be seated firmly, perfectly rather. There's Like zero leeway.

Im sure you prob know lol but just making sure, you know the car dock has a removable insert also.. took me a few to figure that out :blink:

solution

Reaction score
Yeah bro I know this in my package the insert and the dock were in separate plastic bags.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yeah bro I know this in my package the insert and the dock were in separate plastic bags.

Ahh your lucky then lol mine came installed and wasn't sure it was an insert and/or I was breaking something trying to get out ...

C14

Reaction score
I find that I lose the car dock screen whenever I lose power to the car dock. Then it is difficult to get it back. I solved that by hard wiring the 12V charger into my motorcycle. But now a new problem has come up. Once the battery is completely charged, again I lose the car dock screen. I love the interface but it is useless if it keeps dropping out on me.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Hi,

Help

Sometimes you have to press a little bit before it'll go in car mode. Especially with a case.

solution

Reaction score
Hi,

Help

Make sure you put the plastic insert in before you dock the phone ONLY if you are not using a case. If you do not use the insert the phone will wiggle around and cause it to screw up.