Bionic car mode not starting

hollyarts2

Reaction score
I am not getting car mode when I place Bionic in car dock.
When Infirst received the dock I attached phone and it worked. Now mount is in the car and it does not come up when I attach phone.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Does it show the phone is charging in the status bar?? And have you used the dock with any other usb cable... it says not to do that in the instructions... funny thing is... i would love it if i used my car dock and it never went into car mode.. i wish that was just an option that could be turned off

EDIT: if you don't figure any fix for this... there's an app called " car mode control" that lets you turn on cardock whenever you want to... also found one for me to disable cardock when i don't want it running ... cool ... all because of your post and a little digging

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Does it show the phone is charging in the status bar?? And have you used the dock with any other usb cable... it says not to do that in the instructions... funny thing is... i would love it if i used my car dock and it never went into car mode.. i wish that was just an option that could be turned off

EDIT: if you don't figure any fix for this... there's an app called " car mode control" that lets you turn on cardock whenever you want to... also found one for me to disable cardock when i don't want it running ... cool ... all because of your post and a little digging

There's also at least 3 apps that will prevent dock mode, Dock Nothingness, DockNothing Free and NoDock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
H

hollyarts2

Reaction score
no usb

I am not using USB other than to charge and connect to my computer.
The phone does not turn on at all when placed in dock. I must manually turn on.
My vehicle is older and does not have a USB connect. I am merely using the phone car charger.
Thanks for the advise on the app.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Yeah that's what i'm sayin... the car dock came with a cable... it was supposed to be used with a car cigarette lighter charger with a USB chargr port... if you just used any old car charger you may have damaged the car dock internally and it won't switch your phone now... my car dock will switch my phone even when its not plugged into anything... i use it on my bicycle to hold the phone and it switches to car mode with no plug attached at all... and just to make sure ... you're talking about the motorola car dock specifically designed for the bionic right?? That's the only one that sends the phone into dock mode... and you said you have to manually turn the phone on... the phone should turn on just because it senses the charger being plugged in...

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
You might be able to replace the car dock under warranty, it sounds like something may have fried in either the dock or the phone. I would try and get a warranty replacement.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
H

hollyarts2

Reaction score
car dock charger

I purchased the dock only. I placed the phone in the dock unplugged when I received it and it turned on. I used the motorola compatible car charger that came with the phone.
Did this damage the dock or the phone?
Thanks

Last edited:

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
If you used a charger or cable that didnt come in the same box as the car dock, it's possible (although unlikely) that the car dock has been damaged. I'd take it to a Verizon store and see if they can help you with it. They might just tell you to contact Motorola about warranty replacement.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
H

hollyarts2

Reaction score
I have returned the dock and am awaiting a new one with cable and charger.
The dock must have been damaged. My wife's Bionic would not start it either.

Thanks for the help.

DrJay

Reaction score
Docks trigger apps on the phone with small magnets placed strategically in the dock which activate matching sensors in the phone. It does not have to be plugged in to activate the application. These are not very strong magnets so magnetic fields can interfere with them.....

Sent from my bionic using my fingers...

z96Cobra

Reaction score
Docks trigger apps on the phone with small magnets placed strategically in the dock which activate matching sensors in the phone. It does not have to be plugged in to activate the application. These are not very strong magnets so magnetic fields can interfere with them.....

This was true with the OG Droid (and probably other phones) but the Bionic doesn't use magnets. I wish it did, my OG Droid was much better at entering dock modes, and you could easily make your own docks if you wanted. My bionic is hard to get into dock mode at times, you just usually have to push it down into the dock base a little harder/farther to get it to switch. Mine will actually charge just fine & not enter dock mode but if I push it down a little more, dock mode will start. I actually like how mine works. Also, I use a generic car charger in my Mustang & it works just fine. My dock in my truck has the factory charger & works the same.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Confirmed on the magnets theory... There are no magnet docks anymore due to customer complaints... The Magnet in your holster would set it off... The magnet catch in your wifes purse would set it off... I'm bummed on that deal too.. I had a bunch of homemade docks set up around the house to put my Droid 1 into different modes whenever I set it down somewhere...

The bionic uses wiring in the dock to send a signal from the micro USB port to the hdmi port ... And it works without being plugged in also

DrJay

Reaction score
Oh well so much for that theory.....

Sent from my bionic using my fingers...

drawbridgep

Reaction score
Forgive me if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, but I have a similar problem, and I think it's something I've done since rooting.

My bionic no longer goes into car mode when I put it in the dock. I have a desktop dock and that works fine.
To test I've installed CAR MODE CONTROL and when I run it, it goes to my home screen rather than the car dock screen. I had a thought maybe it was because I run GO LAUNCHER, but it does the same thing as the stock home.

I have used Titanium to freeze some bloat. None of my frozen apps seem to be the car mode.

So, my question - Does anyone know what the default car mode app is called?

drawbridgep

Reaction score
Never mind. As always I fixed it five minutes after posting. I just downloaded the car mode apk from HERE and reinstalled and it's fine. I guess I had deleted it. Idiot. :crazy:

This is why I shouldn't have nice things.