car dock app calling button not working

onlinehandyman

Reaction score
Kind of new here. I just got my Droid X about 2 weeks ago and have been reading and learning along the way. So far this phone seems a lot better than my Storm.

I did have one problem this morning and was hoping someone might be able to share some info on it. It's my car dock app that came preloaded. I went to set a favorite to it this morning and the app froze. Not exactly sure what I did next in my attempt to get it going again - I must have hit several buttons though.

Now whenever I hit the calling button within the app all it does is go to a black screen for a moment and then the car dock home screen appears again. The other buttons such as location, search and music work fine.

I was hoping that someone had an idea as to why the calling button within my car dock app is not working. I really do not want to factory reset.

Thank you in advance!
Scott

Zael

Reaction score
This has actually been discussed limitedly in the Tech Issues section as well as Motorola's official forums. I seem to have been the firs person to discover this particular issue. Motorola is aware of the problem, and (I am told) working on the fix. This issue occurs whenever a contact with an apostrophe (possibly other special characters) in their name is put into one of the car dock app's favorites. My guess is a sql problem. To at least get the calling button back follow the below instructions:

Go to settings->Applications->Manage applications.
Hit settings button and hit filter, change the filter to all applications.
Go to the CarDock app and hit "Clear data".

Go ahead and put your favorites back in, but avoid contacts with special characters in their names... at least until the next update from Motorola.

OP
O

onlinehandyman

Reaction score
Thanks Zael!

As much as I love this phone, especially after having the Storm 1 for over a year and a half I was ready to throw it out a window. I had been to the applications page within settings, but had not noticed that there was a filter button and didn't understand why the app wasn't showing up.

Thanks for the help - I am back on track and lovin my Droid again!

Scott

BlueJayToo

Reaction score
Car Dock Call Favorites

Hello !
I am a new Droid owner and new to the group. I also had the same problem of not being able to use the Call button in the Car Dock program. I had set up a couple favorites, then decided to change them. I completely lost all choices when I pushed Call.
Thanks so much for your help. :) I love my phone and think it's totally awesome, but way beyond me. I'm having a great time exploring and learning about it. I'm discovering SEVERAL new things each day.