Car Dock and backlight?

haz

Reaction score
I just got the Motorola car dock for my droid x and i want to know is there a way to keep the screen lit when its just in the car dock without going into settings and changing the timeout settings?

schatzy62

Reaction score
I just got the Motorola car dock for my droid x and i want to know is there a way to keep the screen lit when its just in the car dock without going into settings and changing the timeout settings?
Yes,

Best Option:

Settings>Deveopment>Stay Awake> Check this and it will stay on as long as the power cord is connected.

This will also allow the phone to sleep when the poser cord is not connected.

Second Best Option

Settings>Screen Timeout>Never This will keep the screen on at all times but will not allow the screen to sleep and thus us up a lot more battery power while not connected to power cord.

OP
H

haz

Reaction score
Thanks i will give first Option a try.

OP
H

haz

Reaction score
I cant seem to find Deveopment in the settings screen.

schatzy62

Reaction score
My Bad i gave you the wrong list, i missed a step.

Settings> Application Settings> Development> Stay Awake

Flatland2D

Reaction score
I have the car dock also but the only time the screen doesn't stay on is when it's docked but not plugged into power. If you don't mind buying a $5 app you can get better use of the dock. The program is called Tasker. When I dock mine it turns up the brightness, turns on bluetooth and GPS, turns off wifi, and launches Pandora. You can also add the above setting if you wanted to use it without being plugged in. All the settings go back to normal when you when you remove from the dock.

wdprice3

Reaction score
if you want a better/more customizable car dock app I suggest CustomCarHome... it's awesome!

xliderider

Reaction score
Download the app Screebl Lite. It will keep your device's backlight on while docked and you can turn your timeout settings to a short 15 seconds. It uses the accelerometer to sense the device's orientation to keep the screen on.

NJFishing

Reaction score
Droid X Car Dock

My first post here and thought I'd chime in.

I tried the developement setting for the screen to stay on when charging. It works as described when connected to the home charger or when plugged into my computer through USB cable. However, my screen still times out when in the car dock with the CLA adapter plugged into it.

As suggested on another thread, I just downloaded the "Screen On" Widget and will see if that works. It allows you to overide your standard screen time out by tapping the widget. If you want to go back to your preset time out you simply tap it again.

Not a really techie, but this seems to me like a design flaw on the dock firmware. I can't imagine in a Car Dock situation when the phone is being charged, why would ever want the screen to time out. If you put the Driod in the dock it should overide the screen time outs on the phone and when you take it our it should restore the time out setting.

Other than that and the short battery life, I must say the Droid is quite an improvement over my Blackberry. All things considered, I'm happy with it and understand the compromises you have to make for a larger screen vs battery life.

NJFishing

Reaction score
Correction

A correction to my post above.... The car dock does in fact keep my driod X screen on now... Problem was the Moto OEM 2 piece phone case. It's the one that has a holster and a protective cover that stays on the back of the droid in and out of the holster.

When I got in the car I docked. The droid changed to the dock screen but I noticed the battery was not indicating it was charging. Took it out of the case and re docked and the charger indicator came on and the screen now stays on.

A definate design flaw with the Moto OEM case and the car dock. Although the dock has a removeable plastic adapter that you take out of it to fit the phone in the OEM case, it doesn't seat correctly. It recognizes it's in the dock but it apparently does not seat well enough to charge.

Going to see if I can do some mods to the case to see if I can get it to seat in the dock correctly. I guess there are 2 different companies manufacturing the case and dock. Too bad they don't talk with one and other.