Car Dock and Car home app

kilxler

Reaction score
I think I can shed some light on this issue. I just did various tests because I have the same issue. I noticed if you completely disconnect the charger and insert the bionic in the dock the car dock opens 100% of the time. I'm using my car charger from my original Droid. Can any of you check and verify this also for I the few of you that don't have issues are you using old chargers or a new one? This could be a wire issue and not a phone issue.

Last edited:

mdroid2g

Reaction score
I am using the stoff silicone see thru case with the checkered or hatched pattern on the back on the inside. Fantastic case fits great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

PhontomF

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.

les017

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.

I also would like to know. Actually I'd just as soon no "dock" apps launched at all. I'm perfectly happy with a portrait mode phone holder/charger, and I'll run my own apps...... Just like with the OG Droid.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Well as I'm sure ya know, the car dock is adjustable, what I don't know, or haven't tried, is to see if you can turn the car dock totally vertical. May want to give that a try.

PhontomF

Reaction score
Well as I'm sure ya know, the car dock is adjustable, what I don't know, or haven't tried, is to see if you can turn the car dock totally vertical. May want to give that a try.

Yeah that's what I'm doing and it still doesn't go into portrait mode. I just read you can open it up and cut a couple wires in the dock itself and it will no longer launch the car dock app when inserted. I will look into this.

stevo95

Reaction score
Slightly related. I dont have an issue getting in to car dock mode, but with the original Droid you can exit car mode. I dont seem to be able to do this with the Bionic car dock, is that the case, no way to exit car mode?

MacDuffie

Reaction score
It doesn't require power to be plugged in. The car mount, as with the HD dock, come with a spacer where the phone fits. If used without a case, you leave the spacer in, and if you have it in a case, you take the spacer out. You probably already know this - just checking. ;)

mdroid2g

Reaction score
Could somone tell me why there is a button in the dock that presses the power button on top of phone while in the dock? I didnt notice it until i started using my case with it and now it occasionally brings up the power down menu. This button may somehow be how it puts it into car mode.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
I think it's because they put the darn power button so close to the edge, without it, you couldn't turn the display off and let it charge faster. I have to do this at times while driving to get the most from my time on the charger.

Never thought about it on my X, mainly because the power button was in the center and easy to get to. I noticed as a problem first in my desk dock that I use overnight and for the alarm clock function. Even in the open dock, the button is hard to get to....

Tell me again, why did they move it?

jleeusa

Reaction score
Slightly related. I dont have an issue getting in to car dock mode, but with the original Droid you can exit car mode. I dont seem to be able to do this with the Bionic car dock, is that the case, no way to exit car mode?

Menu button then exit.

themuttt

Reaction score
Are you using a case? I bought one because I was told they would fit now, it does. However, with the case on, it won't charge or initiate car mode. Without a case, it works just fine.
my car dock had an insert that had to be pulled out for the phone to fit, Mine is working fine with the case that comes with the accessories bundle as long as the car charger is plugged in.

themuttt

Reaction score
It doesn't require power to be plugged in. The car mount, as with the HD dock, come with a spacer where the phone fits. If used without a case, you leave the spacer in, and if you have it in a case, you take the spacer out. You probably already know this - just checking. ;)
mine does not go into car mode unless it is plugged into the charger

MacDuffie

Reaction score
Funny, I have that issue with the HD Dock, but not the Car Mount.

MacDuffie

Reaction score
I now have the issue in both places. It's not that big a deal though.